Gino at 39 weeks gestation *

by Lori Lavender Luz on November 22, 2007

in Guillain-Barre

It’s a lame-o pregnancy analogy because it doesn’t fit in so many ways, but I can’t help but think of Gino’s 9-month fight back from complete dependence to nearly being able to walk again as a rebirth.

Brief recap: last February, my sister’s husband had tingling in his hands and feet, which rapidly turned into full-body paralysis — a 1 in 100,000 case of Guillain-Barre Syndrome. Three weeks in ICU with machines breathing and digesting for him, cleansing his blood of the attacking antibodies (in the truest sense of the word) while the dis-ease ran its course; then three months in rehab to help him rebuild to the point of being able to breathe, sit, and operate his wheelchair.

Five months after returning home and having my sister as his caretaker, Gino is just about ready to walk unassisted. Climbing and descending stairs will be the last major hurdle. Then developing enough stability and reflex reliability to drive and write. We’re all planning for Gino to deep-fry the Christmas turkey, as he’s done in past years. And we’re hoping the police department will re-offer him his job within the next few months.

Gratitude. We’ve got it in record amounts.

Happy Thanksgiving, fellow bloggers and readers.
May you be aware of your blessings.

Other posts on Gino’s story:

Our bodies: do we rent or own?
Tami & Gino before Guillain-Barre (with their body-building photos)
Gino on TV
Setback (skull fracture)

* From dictionary.com: ges·tate /ˈdʒɛsteɪt/ Pronunciation KeyShow Spelled Pronunciation[jes-teyt]

4. to develop slowly.

Pamela April 6, 2010 at 11:47 pm

What an amazing recovery story. So glad he’s stronger and getting stronger with each day. Best to you and yours on this Thanksgiving and every day!

Waiting Amy April 6, 2010 at 11:47 pm

That is so wonderful. It is so important for people to understand that these types of diseases can happen to young families and how difficult and prolonged the recovery can be. I’m glad things are going well for your family. It certainly reminds us what to be grateful for.

Jenn in Holland April 6, 2010 at 11:47 pm

Oh, brilliant. What an absolutely beautiful thing to celebrate this Thanksgiving week. Thanks indeed. I am so touched.

IdleMindOfBeth April 6, 2010 at 11:47 pm

Wonderful news! Thank you so much for sharing his story. By the way, I’m totally salivating at the idea of deep fried turkey… mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

steph April 6, 2010 at 11:47 pm

WOW! Thank you so much for this post because it sums up everything I’ve thought about Thanksgiving for the past several years; every day that we wake up alive is another chance to do life right and an occasion to be grateful. I hope your brother-in-law continues to improve and gets his job with the PD back. Happy Thanksgiving!

Lea Bee April 6, 2010 at 11:47 pm

good luck gino! glad to hear you are doing better.

deanna April 6, 2010 at 11:47 pm

I’m so, so glad to hear that he’s making such incredible progress!! That’s really something to celebrate and be grateful for!

Lavender Luz April 6, 2010 at 11:47 pm

Ladies, Gino just called to say how touched he is by your kind words.Each of you means a lot to me. Thanks for your friendship and support!

Lollipop Goldstein April 6, 2010 at 11:47 pm

It’s an incredible comeback and I’m sending so many more good thoughts to Gino for the months to come. Congratulations! And Happy Thanksgiving, Lori.

beagle April 6, 2010 at 11:47 pm

Gives a whole new meaning to born again. I’m so gald to read that he is doing this well!

Geohde April 6, 2010 at 11:47 pm

Guillian Barre is one of those wildfire unfairness of life that strikes down the young and healthy often the worse. The better your immine system, the more demyelination. What a hard road it must be for Gino,J

PeRcH April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

Hi Gino,I know exactly how it must be for you as I am still recovering from GBS myself. For me it all started the 7th of January 2008, so I am now almost “celebrating” my 1st anniversairy.I hope to hear from you how long you are busy now and how you are doing right now.Wish you happy holidays!GreetingsRichard (Holland)