Wishful shopping?

December 12, 2007

in Infertility

I’m not really a shopping kind of person. Shopping is one of the things that stresses me out about the holidays.

But one day a few years ago I actually wanted to shop. I had an urge to buy some clothes for myself. My sister Tami was pregnant with Dominic, and I was feeling sorry for myself. (A little, but not too much — just a residual pang.)

So I went to T.arget. Love T.arget. I found this nice shirt. (Tessa took the photo this morning — I really don’t list like the leaning tower of Pisa.) I liked the color and the stripes. I liked the sleeves that were long enough for my lanky arms. And I liked the fabric — rib knit to keep me warm. I am continually cold in the winter, meaning October through April or any time the temperature is lower than 80 degrees Fahrenheit.

So I bought the shirt and felt really good about it.

Until a few weeks later when I was packing for a trip, and I caught my first glimpse of the label. Seems that while shopping, I wasn’t pay attention to the signage in the store…

And that’s the story of how I came to wear maternity clothes. For no good reason.

Lavender Luz April 6, 2010 at 11:48 pm

Thanks for the shirt loving, ladies!But I think I’ll keep the tag on for awhile. It’s a strange touchstone for me. Like it gets me close to the whole pregnancy thing.Weird, though, huh?Kami — where to? Sedona?Meghan — I just had a delicious birthday dinner, and maternity pants would be quite nice about now!Niobe — did you buy it?

niobe April 6, 2010 at 11:48 pm

Ouch. Something like this happened to me recently. I was in a secondhand shop a few weeks ago, thumbing through the clothes and saw a sweater I liked. I looked inside the collar to check the tag, and saw a very similar label.Your shirt is gorgeous, though.

Meghan April 6, 2010 at 11:48 pm

Definitely just cut out the tag!And the more I bloat, the more maternity pants look attractive

Kami April 6, 2010 at 11:48 pm

Oh, funny. Still looks good, I say rip out the tag.As for this quote, “meaning October through April or any time the temperature is lower than 80 degrees Fahrenheit.”That’s me too except where I live it is only warm enough from the end of June until mid- August. Yeah, we need to move south.

Geohde April 6, 2010 at 11:48 pm

Blerch. Cut the tag! The shirt is otherwise divine, if you ask me.J

Waiting Amy April 6, 2010 at 11:48 pm

I agree cut the tag out! I have almost done this too, sometimes that stuff is fashionable!Don’t let it keep you from shopping for YOU! You deserve it!

IdleMindOfBeth April 6, 2010 at 11:48 pm

ughI love the shirt tho! The colors are gorgeous!I say cut out the tag & try to forget you ever saw it.

Lavender Luz April 6, 2010 at 11:48 pm

niobe April 6, 2010 at 11:48 pm

Meghan April 6, 2010 at 11:48 pm

Kami April 6, 2010 at 11:48 pm

Geohde April 6, 2010 at 11:48 pm

Blerch. Cut the tag! The shirt is otherwise divine, if you ask me.J

Waiting Amy April 6, 2010 at 11:48 pm

IdleMindOfBeth April 6, 2010 at 11:48 pm

Tiger's mom April 6, 2010 at 11:48 pm

I loved this story. Wishful shopper plays out all the unexpected ironies of our lives. And the pure joy of being able to laugh about them! Keep writing–you’ve a wonderful talent.Tiger’s Mom

Ms. Planner April 6, 2010 at 11:48 pm

Love the shirt, maternity or no. And I think it is cool that you are keeping the label in :)

hope548 April 6, 2010 at 11:48 pm

Sure doesn’t look like a maternity shirt! How perfectly ironic though!

beagle April 6, 2010 at 11:48 pm

Well it’s really cute so that’s what matters, right? Cut the tag out, I 7 or 8th the motion!In my current state this whole scenario would have brought me to tears, so I’m not minimizing it either!

Sheri April 6, 2010 at 11:48 pm

I like the shirt. Maternity clothes have come a long way. Some of the jeans are actually cute and they don’t all have the high elastic, stretchy waistbands. What will they think of next?

Tiger's mom April 6, 2010 at 11:48 pm

Ms. Planner April 6, 2010 at 11:48 pm

hope548 April 6, 2010 at 11:48 pm

Sure doesn’t look like a maternity shirt! How perfectly ironic though!

beagle April 6, 2010 at 11:48 pm

Sheri April 6, 2010 at 11:48 pm

angie April 7, 2010 at 5:00 am

I love it, so funny. During a yard sale, where I had a bin of old maternity clothes, I had a woman in her fifties buy it all, because she just thought they were nice and roomy. Anyway, here from Blogger Bingo, but glad to have read this one. I needed a good chuckle today. Abrazos.

Krystal April 7, 2010 at 5:00 am

That is too funny! It IS kind of difficult to navigate the clothes section at Target! There’s no real dividing line. I love the sweater, though! (I also have a problem getting things long enough for my arms!)

angie April 7, 2010 at 5:00 am