Wondering about open adoption?

by Lori Lavender Luz on April 15, 2008

in Adoption,Birth parent,Open Adoption

[November, 2008 update -- content for this class is now offered by phone or as a 2-on-2 consultation in the metro-Denver area. More info.]

Crystal (Tessa’s firstmom) and I have been up to something.

I’m excited to announce that Crystal and I are teaching a workshop on open adoption through Colorado Free University. It will be offered three times, once each in the spring, summer and fall. Here’s the content:

Thinking About Open Adoption?

“Just adopt.” you’ve heard, as if it’s no big deal.

But it is. It’s common for couples looking into domestic infant adoption to feel daunted by the options and the mazes sprawled before them. Once you get some clarity, the path to parenthood becomes much more doable. Come find out more about open adoption, where we’ll look at:

• 20 questions to ask before you select an agency
  • the steps you must take to ensure an ethical adoption (and why this is your concern)
  • what exactly IS open adoption
  • secrets of a successful open adoption how to minimize the pitfalls that can come up in the adoption process

This two-hour class is taught by two mothers in one open adoption: Lori, MA, is an adoptive mom of two who tells her story at Drama 2B Mama and has written for Adoptive Families magazine. Crystal is the firstmom of Lori’s daughter, mother to a son, and a student of Love & Logic. Over the last several years, Lori and Crystal have forged an unlikely friendship and have shared with people considering open adoption their dual perspectives about how to have one.

We’re offering our first class on Wednesday, May 28 from 6:30-8:30 pm in the central Denver area. The class will be repeated on Saturday morning, August 2 from 9-11 near Lowry, as well as on Saturday morning, October 1. CFU charges a very modest tuition, and you may register here. Of course, I am happy to answer any questions you have about the class.

If you know someone who might be interested in this class and in Denver one of those days, please email him/her the link to this post.

beagle April 7, 2010 at 12:03 am

A truly GREAT idea! There is nothing like a first hand account from people who are living the experience.

JJ April 7, 2010 at 12:03 am

This is such exciting news!

My name is Andy. April 7, 2010 at 12:03 am

Very cool!!!!

beagle April 7, 2010 at 12:03 am

JJ April 7, 2010 at 12:03 am

This is such exciting news!

My name is Andy. April 7, 2010 at 12:03 am

Very cool!!!!

Aranne and Dan April 7, 2010 at 12:03 am

Too Cool… Wish I could be there but I am not in Denver… But maybe I can just pick your brain via the internet instead. Good luck with the classes I am sure they will be GREAT!

Ms. Planner April 7, 2010 at 12:03 am

Lori, I just think it is so freakin’ cool that you are offering this class. And even cooler that you and Crystal forged a relationship that allows collaborate on this topic. Cannot wait to hear how it goes.

Lavender Luz April 7, 2010 at 12:03 am

Mrs X — it’s 79 degrees today!You tell me you prefer TX to CO when we’re offering our August session!

Mrs.X April 7, 2010 at 12:03 am

That is fabulous! And, what a wonderful person to teach it. Too bad I’m not in Denver. Oh, yea, it’s because of that snow thing. Ick.

Aranne and Dan April 7, 2010 at 12:03 am

Ms. Planner April 7, 2010 at 12:03 am

Lavender Luz April 7, 2010 at 12:03 am

Mrs.X April 7, 2010 at 12:03 am

Anonymous April 7, 2010 at 12:03 am

I can’t wait!!!!! This is my dream, to help educate people about open adoption. I am so excited. I love you so much Lori you have helped make my dreams come true.Love,Crystal(Firstmom)

Anonymous April 7, 2010 at 12:03 am

Lavender Luz April 7, 2010 at 12:03 am

Aranne — of course!Crystal, can’t wait to see you this weekend. Mwah!

Lavender Luz April 7, 2010 at 12:03 am

Aranne — of course!Crystal, can’t wait to see you this weekend. Mwah!

katd April 7, 2010 at 12:03 am

I will say again how much I love that you guys are doing this. I so wish I was in the area because I’d be there. What an awesome thing that you guys still have this relationship! It’s such a testament to love! :)

katd April 7, 2010 at 12:03 am

Lavender Luz April 7, 2010 at 12:03 am

Katd — it would be wonderful to have you there.And the bonus is I would get to meet Lily (and you, of course)!

Lavender Luz April 7, 2010 at 12:03 am

Joanne April 7, 2010 at 12:03 am

Lori: I shared the details about the workshop at the < HREF="http://foreverparents.com/2008/04/open-adoption-workshop.html" REL="nofollow">Forever Parents blog<> and I’ll also post about it at the forums. :) I’m so proud of you for doing this! I can’t wait to hear how it turns out.

Joanne April 7, 2010 at 12:03 am