Sol stice*

June 20, 2008

in Mindfulness

The sun stands still.

That’s the translation, anyway (from Latin).

And then it reverses.

Each summer and winter solstice, I think back to a class I took while I lived in Japan. I filled my weekends that year dabbling in shiatsu, cooking, Japanese language, an obscure martial art that I can’t recall now, and macrobiotics.

I’ve remembered the most about the macrobiotics class. As the sensei introduced us to the way of life, he explained a few fundamentals. The one that goes with solstice, in my mind, was this:

When something reaches its zenith, it begins to become its opposite.

This, to me, is profound. We reach the peak of summer, and we then head toward winter. Once the darkest part of the night passes, day advances.

There is a constant ebb and flow. Happiness and sadness. Abundance and scarcity. Maybe even life and death?

When something reaches its zenith, it begins to become its opposite.

*At 5:59 pm tonight, MDT.

Erin April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

Is’t that true of life? Lots of peaks and valleys, highs and lows. It’s a nice way to look at things.NCLM!

MrsSpock April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

I like that quote…

beagle April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

Does it bring luck? I need some BIG luck!

The Casual Perfectionist April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

That is so beautiful.

Erin April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

Thanks for stopping by. I have to say the money I spent on my photographer was SO worth it. I love my pictures. Both he and the place have my album as a sample. One day when I am more brave I will put pictures of DH and I up that show our faces.

niobe April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

<>When something reaches its zenith, it begins to become its opposite.<>So true. Whenever I’m happy and everything seems to be working out, I say to myself, “This too shall pass” and I stop, paralyzed, waiting for the axe to fall.

nancy April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

Such a simple and almost obvious statement, but yet so freaking deep.Strange phenomenon I have noticed … in the past 4 or 5 days, I’ve seen “ebb and flow” mentioned four times. And yes, I will do what you asked me to do. Even though I am read like 1,000 times less than you and the other person!! :)

Sunny April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

Interesting observation, isn’t it? It’s hard to accept that ebb and flow sometimes, and so many of us spend so much energy fighting against it. But if we ride out the bad, we can bask in the good when it comes again.

Kelly D April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

So true. I know that the sad times in my life have made me appreciate the happy times more. The ebb and flow.

Ms. Planner April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

The summer solstice and I have a love-hate relationship. I love the long day (the sun doesn’t go down here until almost 10 PM) but the days following are getting shorter – which brings us to the winter and the rain. Again. I totally believe in the ebb and flow of life. Ebb and Flow. Like those words a lot.

Peeveme April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

Thank you. In my culture the Summer Solstice id indeed an important event. I did my ceremony yesterday. This thought about becoming it’s opposite is amazing and mind opening.

Lollipop Goldstein April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

I love this thought.

Pamela April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

Gorgeous, gorgeous post! Thank you for sharing that provocative thought. Summer solstice is something that has a way of making me a bit happy and sad. happy because I’m solar powered and love the longest day of it, but sad because I know that means the days shorten from then forward…

Spicy Sister April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

For some reason this concept fills me with hope and sadness at the same time. There is the reassurance that “this too will pass” – that life continues to move on, that your darkest hour may just be the beginning of your journey into your lightest day. But then the opposite holds true as well….your brightest moment may be the moment before you begin your descent into your darkest night.There is great comfort and power, but also this feeling that we are so small and out of control in the midst of it all.And yet….there is peace in this too somewhere.