An open thanks to Oopiderf and his wife

July 2, 2008

in Family

Did you know that in about 75% of world languages, the word for “mom” starts with an M sound?

I find that curious. The “m” sound must be the most fundamental, the most intimate, the most primeval, for so many peoples to title this most sacred person.

Anyway, my mom has always been just good old Mom, so reliable that it’s easy to take her for granted. And she’s never had a nickname. Just Mom. But as far as nicknames, Dad is another story.

His name is Fred. As a joke, Mom would sometimes all him Fredi-poo. At some point, this morphed into its backward twin, Oopiderf. I rarely call him that. But I will in this post because the sound of it makes me laugh.

Oopiderf and Mom came with Roger and me to a conference we are running. Was it because they wanted a vacation in a mountain resort? Nope. It was so they could watch our kids while we worked. It’s been 4 days and we are all exhausted.

Soon, when I am at the BlogHer conference and hanging out with Lollipop Goldstein, Pamela Jeanne, Luna, Frenchie, Amber, Millie, Steph, JCK and Slouching Mom, again my parents are going to take care of Tessa and Reed. Again, they will keep my kids safe, occupied, and loved.

How should I show my appreciation to Oopiderf and Mom? What do you do when you are deeply grateful to and for someone?

Lollipop Goldstein April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

I’m taking Lindsay’s photo to BlogHer and plopping it down on the table so she can feel like she’s there. I think you write it down. How much you appreciate them. In a card that they can keep. I think at the heart of the matter, people just want their deeds recognized.

LJ April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

I totally did not know that about the word Mom! That’s a pretty neat little factoid!I’m not gonna lie – totally jealous of everyone going to blogher.

Lollipop Goldstein April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

LJ April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

Phoebe April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

The word for mother in the West African language I spoke was “yaay”. Guess that language wasn’t one of the 75%.

Peeveme April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

Wow. all you wonderful ladies in the same room? Awesome. I may have to check out the conference. I don’t live very far away.

nancy April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

I’m so jealous of you ladies getting to go there. SO jealous.

Julia April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

Damn, Niobe beat me to it. I’d say good wine, and maybe a spa gift certificate for Mom.

niobe April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

To show appreciation? Most people seem to like gifts of food. Or alcohol. Or both.

IdleMindOfBeth April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

I have to agree with Lolli (is that an appropriate nickname for the one who has nicknamed herself Lollipop Goldstein?). I think people just want to know that you appreciate what they’ve done.And I LOVE the Oopiderf story! So sweet!

Phoebe April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

Peeveme April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

nancy April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

I’m so jealous of you ladies getting to go there. SO jealous.

Julia April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

niobe April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

IdleMindOfBeth April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

luna April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

lori, I think I blew it too and didn’t register for my one-day pass for Sat. in time! I didn’t realize they were closing registration (they didn’t give much notice!) I’m hoping to squeeze in because I’d be crushed if I didn’t get to come meet you all now!

Anonymous April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

Just to let you all know that Lori found the perfect gift for Oopeiderf and me. We are going to the Opera…not just any old opera, but to the famed Central City Opera to see one of our favorites, West Side Story. Can hardly wait. Spending time with the kids was great fun and we are looking forward to doing it again in July. Thank you for entrusting them to us. And thanks for the fun gift!

Geohde April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

Food.It’s my best way of saying thanks.J

Sheri April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

I would guess that being mentioned on your blog is thanks enough for them…and getting to spend time with the kids…and helping you…and knowing that you appreciate it. I believe that gratitude is an energy and not necessarily a physical gift that you hand them.

Lavender Luz April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

LJ and Nancy — we’ll have a drink in your honor.Lolli, Beth, — you are absolutely right.Niobe, Julia, DeathStar — works for me, so it would probably work for them.Amber and Frenchie — DO!Phoebe — I’d like to know more about why you know a West African language.Furrow — LOL.

Furrow April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

What? I thought spending time with grandchildren was it’s own reward, no matter how exhausting. Huh. Appreciations? I’ll try that. But seriously, food stuff is good. Oh, and about the m word … you know how babies seem to find the ma and da sounds first? Is it just me, or do they use mamama more when they’re upset about something, and dadada when they’re happy? I think that’s how the “m” sound got stuck to the female parent. The baby is crying, mumumumum, and the father says, “she’s calling you.”

Frenchie April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

I love your dad’s nickname….Hey, Lori. I am just coming out of a long work-induced coma and realizing that you are going to be on my turf for the BlogHer conference. I am really wanting to come see you (and Mel and everyone!)speak. Only problem? The site says registration is closed, ..AAACCCKKK!!! If you know of any secret ways I can manage to get in for just that day of the conference (and I promise I’m not a weird stalker) let me know.Signed,pleaseohplease!!

Deathstar April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

A gift certificate for dinner for Mum and Freddiepoo! Or perhaps a spa facial for Mum and free golf for Dad?

luna April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am