Loose ends, lost teeth

July 9, 2008

in Tessa

Thanks so much for your ideas about expressing gratitude to Oopiderf and my Mom for their ongoing kindness. An opportunity to send them to see West Side Story at a local opera house has come up, so that’s how we are thanking them. Let’s hope this time Tony and Maria live happily ever after.
__________________________

I am so glad I asked about “internet” vs “internets” because my assumption was all wrong. I thought it was a European or Downunder or sophistication thing, calling the interwebs plural. I had no idea the plurality could be traced back to our Communicator-in-Chief.

Thanks for clarificating.
__________________________

We are visiting my in-laws. Earlier today, I was on a train platform to go in to the city to meet Niobe. My cell phone rings and it’s my mother-in-law. Tessa has re-broken her tooth. My first thought isn’t “poor Tessa” or “poor MIL.” It’s “damn it. I want to meet Niobe!”

After I cancel the plans and call my sister-in-law back to the train station, I realize that there is probably no crisis, since the tooth has no nerve. But I’m not sure what needs to be done and I don’t want to leave the mess in the hands of my husband’s mother. So as my SIL drives us to the restaurant, I start madly googling local pediatric dentists on my Treo and calling them. Every single one is on vacation for the month of July.

SIL and I reunite with Tessa and MIL. SIL finds the tooth fragment on the floor, which fell out while Tessa was eating, and fortunately wasn’t swallowed. Tessa complains that the resulting ridge is sharp. On the way home, SIL, on a whim, turns in to the parking lot of a dental office. I run in and exasperatedly tell my story. The angel at the desk says, “Come on in! The dentist was just about to leave.”

The very nice dentist and his angelic assistant offer to file down Tessa’s sharp ridge in her already dead tooth. Tessa once again has her Stubborn on, and begins to freak out. We four girls had just had pedicures, so we all explain to her that it’s just like having your nails filed.

Tessa refuses treatment and clamps her jaw shut. She opens it just long enough to tell the nice dentist that he looks like the Grinch.

I am mortified. I cannot think of a way to make “You look like the Grinch” sound like a good thing. So after I pay the bill and scoot everyone out the door, I avert my eyes and walk out mumbling my thanks.

This tooth seems to be the bane of my existence.
___________________________

I have new plans to see Niobe tomorrow. Cross yer fingers.

niobe April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

I’m sure it’s a minority view, but I always thought the Grinch was a lot more sympathetic character than those goody-two-shoes Whos. Until his heart grew three sizes, that is.And I’m so glad that we managed to meet up.

nancy April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

train platform? Where the heck are you? Sorry for the tooth, but woohoo on it not hurting!!! yay!!

chicklet April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

yeesh that kid, what was she thinking interrupting your personal time!!! ;-)

Sheri April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

Maybe what Tessa said was, “This should be a cinch!” Then again…probably not! :)

luna April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

hope tessa is better soon! have fun with niobe.

Julia April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

Do you still need that pedi dentist recommendation for someone in town this month or are you all set for now?

niobe April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

nancy April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

chicklet April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

yeesh that kid, what was she thinking interrupting your personal time!!! ;-)

Sheri April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

luna April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

hope tessa is better soon! have fun with niobe.

Julia April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

GroundedFitness April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

if someone came at my mouth with a file id probably bite their finger clean off. it would be way grosser, but im willing to make the sacrifice. its not really a sacrafice if im the one that gains, huh?whatever, im selfish then.http://www.groundedfitness.com

GroundedFitness April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

Furrow April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

oh, no! This is all far in the past now (I’m a terribly slow blog friend these day), so I hope you and Niobe had a good visit. I wish I had been there with two of my favorite bloggers…

Furrow April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

Affordable Teeth Whiteners April 7, 2010 at 1:06 am

Hope your plans with Niobe go fine! i love her name btw. Anyway, I’m sorry she was being stubborn but dentists are frightening im 30 and still totally afraid of the dentist everytime i walk in and smell that dentist smell i turn into a really pale shade of myself! My niece told the doctor he looked like shrek just not green and asked if his wife looked like princess fiona or ogre fiona. Beat that! hahahaCheers, Serena

Affordable Teeth Whiteners April 7, 2010 at 1:06 am

Lavender Luz April 7, 2010 at 1:06 am

Serena — thanks! I did get to see Niobe the next day. I share your fear of the dentist. Your niece is a pistol!

Lavender Luz April 7, 2010 at 1:06 am