Singular or plural?

by Lori Lavender Luz on July 8, 2008

in Uncategorized

Which do you use?

1. I’m going to search the internet.

or

2. I’m going to search the internets.

Why?

Tammy April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

Internet is one thing but made up of millions of little pages. Just like a herd of deer. The herd is one thing but there are a lot of deer in the herd. Basically, it is a sigular thing.

My name is Andy. April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

1. I’m going to search the internet.There is only one internet… there are many (MANY!) things connected to it, but only one thing that connects them all

Tammy April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

My name is Andy. April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

MrsSpock April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

Internet-singular. Internets might be something my unhip nearly 70-year old father might say.

Mrs. Spit April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

Unless you are trying to be hick funny, the internet is a single thing. It is a collective noun – which means that yes, it’s a collection of things – multiple website, but there is only one group of the thing. A pride of lions is an exciting thing to see on safari. In the same way that we say a pride of lions is – because there is only one pride (as opposed to a pride of lions are). There are multiple lions in the pride, but only one pride being referred to in the sentance.

LJ April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

Internet – singular. Unless I am being a lolcat and say that “I are full of win and playing on teh interwebs”

ourboysourlives April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

I usually say …I’m searching the internet. or I am going to search the internet…like Andy said…there is only one

MrsSpock April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

Mrs. Spit April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

LJ April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

ourboysourlives April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

luna April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

what niobe said. and julia.

Lollipop Goldstein April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

Singular. But I don’t know why.

Julia April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

What niobe said. Exactly.

Furrow April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

Yeah, I thought “internets” was just a joke. Sarcasm. Poking fun at the oldsters. Like calling it a “series of tube.”

Debi April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

Oh OH when I refer to my pals on the internet I sometimes call them the internets….does that count…like “my lovely internets gave me some real encouragement”

The Casual Perfectionist April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

The Internet is one place and it’s capitalized…according to Grammar Girl (I’ll send you the link to her podcast if you don’t have it), and she’s an expert. :pUnless you’re trying to be funny, then you can use interwebz or any version you’d prefer. ;)

niobe April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

I use internet if I’m being serious. But internets when I’m being deprecating, self- or otherwise.(I think that for a lot of people “internets” is a jab at GWB, who once used the term in a presidential debate)

luna April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

what niobe said. and julia.

Lollipop Goldstein April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

Singular. But I don’t know why.

Julia April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

What niobe said. Exactly.

Furrow April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

Debi April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

The Casual Perfectionist April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

niobe April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

Geohde April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

Singular, because there’s only one internet….or am I missing something?J

deanna April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

Singular girl.Except fun episodes between Jake and I when we’re mocking on my dad, who says things like Wal-marts and MAC-Donalds. If he knew what the internet was, he would definitely say it plural.

Geohde April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

Singular, because there’s only one internet….or am I missing something?J

deanna April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

Michelle April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

Did not know it was a proper noun to always be capitalized! I consider the Internet to be singular (in a collective noun sort of way), and sometimes the people on the Internet to be the Internets…

Michelle April 7, 2010 at 12:26 am