(Read all the way to the bottom for Lori’s Childhood Trivia .)
Reed and I pick up Tessa from school. We head to the dollar store to look for costumes. No luck, and on a whim (OK, mine) we drive through the nearby Dairy Queen for our favorite treats: bright blue squishees for them and a hot-fudge with cherry malt for me. Delightfully decadent.
We drive west toward a discount store. The mountains are green and gold, the sky blue, with red leaves on the trees that line the street. The afternoon sun is warm and I can sense the cold front about to hit. I savor.
John Cougar (the name tells you the era) comes on the radio. I crank it. The kids are rockin’ in the back seat — arms flailing and heads bopping — and we are all three singing at the top of our lungs on this gorgeous afternoon.
Oh yeah. Life goes on. Long after the thrill of living is gone.
The kids love it when they know the lyrics.
We drink and sing some more. I breathe in the perfection of the moment.
Changes come around real soon make us women and men.
I was just about that age when the song came out. It makes me feel my life has come full circle.
We sip our treats in between lungfuls of the song.
My kids are happy. We are happy together, and it’s a moment of joy.
Leave a comment this week with a link to your Perfect Moment, or the Moment itself. I’ll move up to the body of this post as the week goes by.
Once you make a Perfect Moment post, you are qualified to place this button on your blog.
Click here for previous collections of Perfect Moments. Now. What Perfect Moment have you recently been aware of?
1. MrsSpock‘s perfect moment includes a baby, a husband, and a drunken sailor.
2. Martha and her kids spend a perfecto afternoon amid kids, sunflowers, pumpkins, and gorgeous sunshine.
3. Kork enjoys an extended snuggle, filled with trust and love and surrender.
4. Cara enjoys a Marriage Retreat. No roughing it required.
5. Farmwife gets an invitation to play from her 1-year old daughter.
7. Amy has all the necessary ingredients for a perfect moment: good book, good drink, and time to enjoy them
8. Robin shares Perfect Moments from Halloweens past.
9. Beth: I had a perfect moment Monday night when I got to see Gloria Steinem at the Broomfield Auditorium. She is 74 and was wearing this form fitting outfit and a metal belt. She looked really good, and was wonderful to listen to as well. I thought, there’s still hope for sexy after 70! Woohoo!
10. Sheri: I am experiencing my perfect moment right now. My 11 year old son is practicing his clarinet for me. Even though he is sometimes a bit off-pitch and there are some squeaks, it is music to my ears! I love watching my kids grow up. Very cool!
Lori’s Childhood Trivia Round 9, Clue #7
It’s Lori’s Childhood Trivia, where I dredge up something from the 1970s you (hopefully) enjoyed the way I did, and you figure out what it is by my carefully meted out clues. Here are the all available clues, and a hint.
Clue #2: Violet
Clue #3: Chauffeur
Clue #4: David
Clue #5: Cliff
Clue #6: Bismarck-ish. Or maybe Moorhead-ish.
Clue #7: Furniture-philia
The hint I promised yesterday is this: some clues are derivative. Indirect. 2 degrees of separation. Y’all were too clever with the direct stuff.
What’s your guess?