Perfect Moment Monday: FAC-ing

November 3, 2008

in Perfect Moment

This weekend I took the kids FAC-ing. But that was Saturday and this is Monday and still I’m going to talk about my very special FAC*.

We met my friend, Alice, and her two girls, at a playground. It was a warm, bright day, and the sun felt good on my skin. I was dressed as if it were July. That was one piece of perfection.

Alice and I hadn’t seen each other for several weeks and were eager to catch up. But each time we’d get to a particularly juicy part of a story, one of the kids would need something. A referee. A Band-Aid. A push on a swing. To be told not to throw sand. Saving from a bee. Another snack. A sip. The nearby port-a-potty.

It never failed — we couldn’t close a single topic.

Two hours of fractured gabbing had gone by, and we decided it was time to pack up. We gave the kids a 5 minute warning.

Those must have been the magic words. The quartet proceeded to play together nicely, UNNEEDILY, for 30 more minutes. Alice and I Finished A Conversation. And then another, and another, and another.

FAC is as satisfying now as it was in college (when it happened on a Friday. And with beer).

We laughed together and realized our Perfect Moment.

* Known on college campuses everywhere as Friday Afternoon Club.

====================================

Leave a comment this week with a link to your Perfect Moment, or the Moment itself. I’ll move up to the body of this post as the week goes by.

Once you make a Perfect Moment post, you are qualified to place this button on your blog.

I Capture
Perfect Moments.

Click here for previous collections of Perfect Moments. Now. What Perfect Moment have you recently been aware of?

1. Sue is thrilled that her mom is able to vote for the first time in 12 years.

2. Pam‘s house radiates warmth and coziness, and she recognizes it.

3. Amber and her son have a Great Adventure by letting Serendipity lead them.

4. Martha and her son share a perfect moment while doing a not-so-desirable chore.

5. MrsSpock hears that long-awaited word from her son. Now if he’d NOT say it between midnight and 6 am.

6. Kami has a date. A perfect date.

7. Marge in Real Life finds a vibrant, hearty flower in her garden after the frost. One man’s scrap is his woman’s bouquet…

8. Alyson: “my perfect moments right now are when AA looks me in the eyes and I see some recognition as her Mommy”.

9. Yours?

Martha April 7, 2010 at 1:06 am

Happy Monday, Lori! Here’s my contribution to PMM where doing chores w/the 10 y/o cracked me up!Thanks so much, best to you and the family. Marthahttp://comicallyflawed.blogspot.com/2008/11/perfect-moment-monday-closet-cleaning.html

Amber April 7, 2010 at 1:06 am

Ahhhh, I wrote about two of my perfect moments on Mile High Mamas just today!

Martha April 7, 2010 at 1:06 am

Amber April 7, 2010 at 1:06 am

Ahhhh, I wrote about two of my perfect moments on Mile High Mamas just today!

Kami April 7, 2010 at 1:06 am

Oh nice! The weather and the FAC. My perfect moment had some FAC’s in it too – Brad and I got a date night!

MrsSpock April 7, 2010 at 1:06 am

Her’s mine:http://mrsspock.blogspot.com/2008/11/good-and-bad-in-bullets.htmlFAC- never heard of that before. When I was in college, it was swing-dance Wednesday nights.

Martha April 7, 2010 at 1:06 am

Hi, Lori, I forgot to answer your question about the Teletubby costumes, they were bought online. My son is 13 y/o and dressed up with three of his friends, really funny. Thanks for asking, ttfn, Martha

Kami April 7, 2010 at 1:06 am

MrsSpock April 7, 2010 at 1:06 am

Martha April 7, 2010 at 1:06 am

Alyson and Ford April 7, 2010 at 1:06 am

I don’t have a post specifically on a perfect moment as each day is just so wonderful. My perfect moments right now are when AA looks me in the eyes and I see some recognition as her “Mommy”.AlysonMommy to Alyzabeth for Seven Weeks!LID 01/27/06

Geohde April 7, 2010 at 1:06 am

Finishing a conversation?I actually can’t think of the last time I did that, unless you count ‘coo’ as meaningful verbage.J

Alyson and Ford April 7, 2010 at 1:06 am

Geohde April 7, 2010 at 1:06 am

kelly April 7, 2010 at 1:06 am

1. Enjoy life2. Reflect on “mundane” moments3. Treasure what you have – family, friends and things around you.Many do #1 but forget #2 and #3.You seem to do all three and I also see you are an inspiration to those who are/were in your shoes.Keep up the great blog Lori – it has a noble mission!P.S. Thanks for your comment in my blog too. <3

Wordgirl April 7, 2010 at 1:06 am

FAC!I had COMPLETELY forgotten about FAC until you wrote about it — and it all came flooding back — the warm fall days, seeing Big Head Todd and the Monsters playing…and then I remember the hotel where I worked had the original FAC…A MILLION years ago.Thank you for reminding me Lori — and for your gentle, thoughtful, mindful presence in the blogosphere.

kelly April 7, 2010 at 1:06 am

Wordgirl April 7, 2010 at 1:06 am

Frenchie April 7, 2010 at 1:06 am

Hi Lori,I love your post. I finally posted a “Perfect Moment”–let’s just say I’m early for next week. haha

Frenchie April 7, 2010 at 1:06 am