Show & Tell: extended fall

by Lori Lavender Luz on November 2, 2008

in Denver,Show & Tell

Halloween when I was a kid:

• It got dark before 5 pm, due to the early October return to Daylight Wastings Time (the opposite of Daylight Savings). It was DARK, and traipsing around the ‘hood was dangerous.
  • Monster snowdrifts and slick patches of ice made it treacherous to wear any footwear except snow boots. Which meant that choosing any costume other than Sasquatch or a skier was sure to land you on your butt or freeze your tootsies.
  • It was never more than 28 degrees Fahrenheit. Which meant we had to bundle up. Which meant that the costumes we’d so painstakingly put together would be seen only by the inside of our parkas.

Halloween for my kids:

• The sun set at 6 pm. There was still twilight for most of our Trick or Treating time.
  • We have not yet seen snow this season. And the only ice I encountered was clinking in my gin and tonic.
  • It was 77 degrees in my town during the day, in the 60s during Trick or Treating. I really don’t understand why people complain about global warming. Whales maybe, but people, no. Tessa’s and Reed’s get ups were front and center. No coats required.

Another side effect of this gradual transition to fall is the colors, all the three of them simultaneously. I can’t remember ever seeing them in such glory.

Tri-color #1
Tri-color #2

Want more Show & Tell? Visit Mel.

Lollipop Goldstein April 7, 2010 at 1:06 am

Oh my G-d–you hate Al Gore!

MrsSpock April 7, 2010 at 1:06 am

I remember always having to wear a coat over my costume, and the occasional snowstorm that ruined a long night of Trick-or-Treating. Not so much anymore.

WiseGuy April 7, 2010 at 1:06 am

Awesome Leaf Pics!

Sam April 7, 2010 at 1:06 am

Hmmm, thoughtful post! We didn’t really do Halloween when we were kids so I have nothing to compare it with. This early November seems rather cold to me but I can never seem to remember what it was like last year or even a few years ago!!

luna April 7, 2010 at 1:06 am

sound wonderful. it stormed here, so kids got wet or stayed home. not as fun. gorgeous colors in that tree!

Another Dreamer April 7, 2010 at 1:06 am

I remember trick or treating when it was dark out already, and now it’s complete daylight where I live. And it used to be warm enough to go without a coat, and now it’s too chilly most years…I seem to be getting hit with the opposite, lol.Beautiful tree colors!

Michelle April 7, 2010 at 1:06 am

Gorgeous pictures!

Kristin April 7, 2010 at 1:06 am

What a fabulous tree!

battynurse April 7, 2010 at 1:06 am

I don’t really remember much what it was like as a kid (no dress up means it’s not much of a concern). I know that two years ago at home it was pretty darn cold for halloween. In California though it’s often pretty decent I think. Those colors on the trees are fantastic!!! I love them.

Emily (Apron Strings) April 7, 2010 at 1:06 am

Gorgeous pictures! Fall’s definitely my most favorite season.And totally remember Halloween when I was young. Freeezing … and then those darn plastic masks with the cut -outs for the eyes and the little slit for the mouth … made for breathing difficult.Eh … having flashback memories … :-) Here from Show and Tell

Martha April 7, 2010 at 1:06 am

Beautiful pictures! I hope your kids had fun. My oldest collected 6 lbs of candy!!!! His orthodontist is going to be thrilled.

Cara April 7, 2010 at 1:06 am

Yup – FREEZING Halloweens as a kid!!! Um- I had kids banging on the door till 8pm!!!

Kimberly April 7, 2010 at 1:06 am

My husband and I were just saying the same thing! It was actually fall on Halloween.When I was 4 I went as a Mummy, it rained (40 degrees) and I couldn’t walk under the weight of my soaking wet wrappings.

loribeth April 7, 2010 at 1:06 am

I have similar memories — coats over costumes, and one particularly memorable Halloween, trudging through a raging snowstorm in pursuit of candy, lol. We lived in small towns & my sister & our friends would go out right after school together, no adults necessary. After dinner/dark, my dad would take us in the car to a few streets further away. Even in those more innocent times, however, he would point out the houses we could go to (where he knew the people), & we were forbidden from opening any candy until we got home. We’d dump it all out & my mom would go through it all with a fine-tooth comb. Anything homemade treats or stuff loose wrappers went into the garbage. Apples got cut up for pies.

PerfectMomentProject April 7, 2010 at 1:06 am

We certainly didn’t have any scary witches like this lady… or not that I recall: < HREF="http://siditty.blogspot.com/2008/11/way-to-sway-under-10-vote-lady.html" REL="nofollow">Support Obama? No candy for you!<>

Antigone April 7, 2010 at 1:06 am

Careful…Al Gore will send a Man-Bear-Pig your way.

WiseGuy April 7, 2010 at 1:06 am

Thanks for stopping by my blog….The book is available in English. So, you can read it easily. But I am not aware if the translation is as juicy as the original one. The book was written in Marathi and then translated into Hindi and other languages.I have found that are often parallels between the characters, plots and contexts in literature of different cultures…Celebrate!

Brenda April 7, 2010 at 1:06 am

Gorgeous pics! I was “lucky” and grew up in FL (since I was 8). We didn’t wear jackets. But we got no seasonal leave changes either :)

Alyson and Ford April 7, 2010 at 1:06 am

Beautiful pictures! I love the color!Haven’t been around for S&T for awhile…AlysonMommy to Alyzabeth for Seven Weeks!Visiting from Stirrup Queens!