Show & Tell: the game table that’s never seen action

by Lori Lavender Luz on November 16, 2008

in Show & Tell,Travel

Awhile back I shared some souvenirs we brought back from the 2 years we lived in the Middle East. Today I’m showing and telling about the gift I got for my husband’s birthday in 1998, from the souk in Damascus.

It’s just a table.

That opens up.

For cards.

Or checkers or chess.

Or backgammon.

Mostly, it’s a decoration. We haven’t had time for such games in, oh, 7 years or so.

For more Show & Tell, check with Lollipop Goldstein our supercool teacher.

FattyPants April 7, 2010 at 1:07 am

Thats a nice table. All the game tables I have seen aren’t nearly as beautiful.

luna April 7, 2010 at 1:07 am

that is SO very cool. I’m assuming you had it shipped. maybe you need a new game night?

Baby Smiling In Back Seat April 7, 2010 at 1:07 am

I absolutely love it. Is all the wood inlay done by hand? Did it cost a fortune? Surprisingly cheap? I can’t even imagine what an imported table like that would cost.We haven’t played cards or games in years either (except for some card games when visiting friends) and we don’t even have kids. Hard to believe there was a time when neither DH nor I worked at home in the evenings. We actually sat together and watched TV and played games. So weird.Maybe Tessa can take up backgammon or checkers and give the table a workout!

MrsSpock April 7, 2010 at 1:07 am

Hey, that’s nifty! Mr S and I used to play chess all the time. Not so much anymore.

Another Dreamer April 7, 2010 at 1:07 am

I think I guessed this one was yours! And I LOVE the table ;)

Kristin April 7, 2010 at 1:07 am

I really love that table. I think it would get a heavy workout here.

JuliaS April 7, 2010 at 1:07 am

That. is. THE. COOLEST. thing. ever!Oh my gosh – I have never seen anything so amazing, and I am not talking about the nifty storage.Wow – heading over to your house for Canasta!

Kork April 7, 2010 at 1:07 am

OOOOOHHHHHHHH!!!!! I’m so jealous of that table…I think that you need to institute Game Night in your schedule…otherwise, I may just hunt your house down and make sure that table has a good home! :D OK…I wouldn’t really do that, but boy would I love a table like that…

Delenn April 7, 2010 at 1:07 am

That is such an awesome table! We would love it–we don’t play those types of games, but we do need a gaming table…on the other hand–its too beautiful to play on!!

Another Dreamer April 7, 2010 at 1:07 am

I think I guessed this one was yours! And I LOVE the table ;)

Kristin April 7, 2010 at 1:07 am

I really love that table. I think it would get a heavy workout here.

JuliaS April 7, 2010 at 1:07 am

Kork April 7, 2010 at 1:07 am

Delenn April 7, 2010 at 1:07 am

Cara April 7, 2010 at 1:07 am

Hey Lori – I wasn’t smart enough to guess it was you…but I still love the table!

WiseGuy April 7, 2010 at 1:07 am

Aha…looks like quite a treasure. Keep it as a family heirloom. ;)

loribeth April 7, 2010 at 1:07 am

That’s amazing!!

momofonefornow April 7, 2010 at 1:07 am

What an awesome table. That is very cool!

Malky B. April 7, 2010 at 1:07 am

Great table although a bit pricey. The hand crafting is probably why.

Lavender Luz April 7, 2010 at 1:07 am

It was about $200 10 years ago, and we’re told it was done by hand. I wonder what it would go for if bought here. I’m sure we overpaid for it just for being foreign.We SHOULD have game night with the kids, now that they are old enough.The organization we worked for (under the World Bank) shipped all our stuff back for us.Y’all come over and we’ll turn it into a mojito table!

Sam April 7, 2010 at 1:07 am

that table seems very very familiar – didn’t you post about this recently? Are you recycling now!!? ;-) Ahhhhh – I see now – yes I read it at Baby Steps to Baby Shoes!!