Show & Tell: Cityscape

January 18, 2009

in Mindfulness, Show & Tell

Mr Roads gave me a C in Art in 7th grade. Ba$tard.

Being an otherwise straight-A student, I took this as a personal affront. It stung so much that I decided I had no artistic talent and I would never again put myself in the position of being judged in this arena (perhaps I am a person of sweeping generalizations?).

My moratorium held up until 5 years ago, when I was invited to a baby shower for MaryBeth. I almost didn’t go because it was at one of those (scrunch-up my nose) pottery-painting places, for those, you know, artistic-type people.

Which wasn’t me, according to Mr Roads and the message I’d played in my head for decades.

But my affection for MB was greater than my fear of being judged (really. like anyone would care) and I went to the celebration.

And I found a new passion. I LOVE painting pottery! And I don’t stink up the place when I do it.

I don’t take the time to paint pottery very often. Which is a shame considering how much satisfaction it brings me.

Today I’m sharing pieces of my cityscape series, which I did in 2004. This was a very stressful time, as Tessa was in the Terrible-Threes (much worse than the fabled twos), Reed was mobile yet fully dependent on me, and Rob was in grad school. I soooo needed this outlet.

The serving plate:

The serving bowl with a tortilla chip: (I could point out that I ran out of time and didn’t have a chance to do a third layer of color so it’s not as vibrant as I’d like, but that would be Mr Roads talking):

The jumbo coffee mugs (there are only 2, but I took them pix from different angles):

I think it’s time for me to hit the studio again. Any locals want to join me? (Anyone who isn’t Mr Roads, that is.)

To see what the rest of the class is showing and telling, go to Mel of Show & Tell.

Spicy Sister April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

Love these Lori! You are quite talented!!! I love to paint but it’s been a long time because it’s such a pain to drag out all my supplies and such. Painting pottery sounds like a GREAT outlet – I would love to go sometime!!

Kristin April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

Those are incredibly cool! You definitely have talent. Screw Mr. Roads and his C. If I lived closer, I would come paint pottery with you.

Denise April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

Oooh, this would be a great get together for us! I haven’t painted pottery in years. We’d have to make sure to pick a place that allows us to bring wine.

Michelle April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

Those are awesome! I don’t think Mr. Roads had a clue as to what he was talking about!

niobe April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

Those are amazing. There’s a pottery painting place just down the street from me. You may have inspired me to try it.

battynurse April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

Those are very cool. Stupid teacher to give you a C

The Steadfast Warrior April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

I had a Mr. Roads too! Except he was she and it was in grade 9. She really made me terrified of white space. Took my art ed prof in university to help me break out of my box and realize that I had actual artistic ability. If you weren’t in Denver and I wasn’t in Vancouver, I’d be at that pottery studio in a heartbeat. Oh, and do you need me to de-lurk? Becuase I can. I do comment from time to time but I promise to be better…

niobe April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

'Murgdan' April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

I’ve always wanted to go to one of those ‘paint your own pottery’ places…but I never have. It’s on ‘the list’ though. Love your pieces!…also I think I am a *gasp* lurker. Eeek. I don’t know if I’ve commented before here–but I do read. :-)

lassie April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

delurking to say I love painting pottery too. I had a 7th grade art teacher tell me I ruined a piece of art because I was a sloppy painter. I didn’t do anything artistic until I was married. Then, I started sketching and now have a huge mural on the wall in my hallway!

beagle April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

You know who lacks talent? Mr. Roads. A good teaches inpsires and encourages . . . all he did was force REAL talent underground for way too long. I serioulsy think you are onto something with the city scapes! Now I wish, more than ever, that we lived closer!!

battynurse April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

Those are very cool. Stupid teacher to give you a C

The Steadfast Warrior April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

Momma, The Casual Perfectionist April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

I think they’re gorgeous! I would be interested in trying it! (The last time I did anything with pottery was when I was in Junior High! I loved it, but I just haven’t had a chance to dabble in it since.) If you get a group of locals together, let me know!!

Deathstar April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

Those are so beautiful! Isn’t it so therapeutic to make beautiful things?

Megan April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

I love these. They are so eclectic.

Wordgirl April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

Oh I love them — they are BEAUTIFUL.Like you!

areyoukiddingme April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

Wow, that’s a long time to hold a grudge…I am impressed. I’m also glad you gave it up, because your pottery is pretty cool.

Baby Smiling In Back Seat April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

I also got Cs in art class. Our art teachers obviously chose the wrong media for us.

luna April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

these are awesome! looks like you had a hidden talent. isn’t there a goddess series somewhere too?teachers sometimes have no idea the impact they have on a young child’s developing psyche.

Baby Smiling In Back Seat April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

excavator April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

Beautiful, Lori! I had no idea. I’d like to think that somewhere Mr. Roads saw the error of his ways and was stricken with major guilt for discouraging rather than encouraging.Are these Denver-scapes, or imagination-metro-scapes?(and I agree; age 3 is much more challenging than 2–something I’d have like to have been warned about!)

Beautiful Mess April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

Those are beautiful! I am not even a little bit talented. I painted a frog at a party and the poor thing looks horrible. I wish I could paint as well as you. When you go, wanna paint me something fancy and cool? ;o)Enjoy your day,-D

LemonySarah April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

Well hello there! And thanks for the link!I love your pottery. Let me at that Mr. Roads. Clearly, he doesn’t know talent when he sees it. Oooooo, how I loathe moronic teachers!

Raggedy Ann April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

Here I am delurking!!! It’s the second time this week. Is there any way I can order those gorgeous mugs and have them sent over to this side of the Atlantic? If you ever decide to go into business, how about a franchising here in Portugal? Loved them!

FattyPants April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

He doesn’t know what he was talking about. I love the cups. Perfect for mornings where you need a double cup of cocoa.

Phoebe April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

That’s very Van Gogh like, those city scapes! I’m glad you have been able to overcome your art teacher trauma!

luna April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

Cara April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

Teaching IS the most influential career! People who say that always mean in a good way – but it can get ugly too! Shame on you Mr. Roads – you were supposed to open doors, not close them.Good for you – Lori – for RE-OPENING that door! You are skilled.

Susan April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

Found you from Show and Tell – I like your pottery, too.

chicklet April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

Super cute. Maybe you could write a book on it? Oh wait, you have a lot else going on you should be working on;-)

Sam April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

Love your painted pottery. It is sad though that some teachers just do not realise the damage that they do to some people.

Photogrl April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

I love the pottery! Especially the big coffee cups…Thanks for sharing.

Brenna April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

This is my first visit, I found you via the Stirrup Queen’s “show and tell”–and I love your pottery! Agreed that Mr. Roads was a neener head. I think I had the opposite experience, my art teachers in elementary and high school always raved about me and then I got to college and realized…wow, there are some really really talented artists out there and maybe I’m not so hot. *shrug* Who cares, making art feels great doesn’t it?! I’d love to paint pottery with you some time.

Coffeegrljapan April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

First off, I can’t believe I haven’t commented yet! Anyway – I’m delurking :) So happy to be here.Second – I think I had that art teacher in 7th grade. I mean who grades kids that hard in middle school art???!!! I was devastated. It took me years to find the courage to attempt an art/craft (scrapbooking) and I think I’m not half bad and maybe he was wrong. Your painting is awesome! Way better than a C if you ask me!

WiseGuy April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

Grades are not a necessary indicator of how a person performs in real life. I have enough examples of that already.I especially like the Coffee Mugs…bright vibrant colours are my thing! Woot to you! You have repudiated thumpingly Mr Road’s assessment!

Another Dreamer April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

I really like those! Kudos!

annacyclopedia April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

These are beautiful, Lori! The vibrant colours just scream “Lori” to me – somehow they just suit the you that I know. Glad you found a way to heal and release that silly Mr. Roads and his bullsh*t!

Kami April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

That is so neat! It is freeing to realize you don’t have to be the best to enjoy a hobby. I painted a bit while I was in the Peace Corp. It was with a kids watercolor set and one person described my prize work as looking like something a 5 year old would do, but I enjoyed it anyway.

MrsSpock April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

Hey- those are totally “A” worthy!

Heather April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

I’m here… I’m late to the party. It’s tax season… can that be my excuse? I’m still reading old posts from 12/31.

littlesteps April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

De-lurking a little late. Awesome pottery!