Perfect Moment Monday: stillness

February 2, 2009

in Mindfulness, Perfect Moment

Perfect Moment Monday is more about noticing a perfect moment than about creating one. Perfect moments can be momentous or ordinary or somewhere in between.

We gather here once a week to engage in mindfulness about something that is right with our world. Everyone is welcome to join. Details on how to participate are at the bottom of this post, complete with bloggy bling.

Please visit the links of the participants at the bottom.

Here’s a perfect moment from my week.

====================================
I tweeted this thought this week:

Why is is possible to be able to say “I have a good life”
but also NOT to be able to say “I am happy”?

I wasn’t really feeling depressed; just noticing that having happy things around me doesn’t guarantee happy feelings in me. It may follow, too, that having sad things around me doesn’t have to mean sad feelings in me.

Does the center of a spinning wheel move? I see the very heart of myself as the part that is fluid yet rock steady no matter what drama is going on in the dizzying outlying radius. At my core is that small kernel of the Divine, the timeless mystery. And it’s surrounded by my story, the one that’s been unfolding throughout my life.

So for this week, as I was feeling a little melancholy — not because of anything, just as part of a mood cycle — I found the stillness in me that is impervious and eternal.

For just a moment. A perfect moment.
====================================

Be sure to follow the links below and share the bloggy love.

Once you make a Perfect Moment post, you are qualified to place this button on your blog.

I Capture
Perfect Moments.

Now. What Perfect Moment have you recently been aware of?

Lollipop Goldstein April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

I love that thought–that it’s just part of the mood cycle. I love your recognition that you don’t need to fix it; you just want to understand it.

B April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

You’re beautiful

Buddha of Hollywood April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

I had such a wonderful weekend that Monday doesn’t look good not matter how hard I try.So I will settle for a perfect Sunday stillness moment ;) Thank you for sharing your wonderful post!

luna April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

this is just a perfectly lovely moment, there in the stillness. thanks for sharing it here.

Kalei April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

I was feeling a little down this week also. I think, personally, it is an empathy due to all the sad stories I hear on the news…I won’t repeat them here. But the effect of me knowing someone else is in pain is a deep sadness that, like you said does not mean I am a sad person. It puts me in a reflective position to appreciate the things I have(like perfect moments), but wonder how I can help someone else deal with their own troubles….and am I in the position to do that?My perfect moment is not really anything special….just an association with the perfect moment of the Steelers winning the Superbowl. For someone living in Pittsburgh, this is truly a moment to take in and smile about….I do apologize to all the AZ fans who have to deal with disappointment.

Cara April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

Abundance is our word for the year. “We have more than enough _____” I realized I can fill in that blank with TONS of words, junk being one of them – but, hey – what can you do? Lori – remember a few weeks ago when you asked for snippit of my Turbo Jam Dance Groove? Well – I couldn’t bring myself to …yet – but if you click over to Bear and Comedian…there is a dance party going on!

Martha April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

Thank you, Lori. This echoes my own feelings of abundance with the contradiction of the blues or more accurately, “the blahs”. This wonderful post reminds me that for me, it’s more important to work on being content, then “happy”.

Baby Smiling In Back Seat April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

I wonder how much of the inability to say “I am happy” has to do with your true feelings rather than the impression that it would give to other people. I feel as if “I am happy” is conditioned out of us, so that some of us can’t even say it silently to ourselves anymore.“I have a good life” acknowledges feeling luckier than many, blessed, and also evokes the days when life was less good as a point of contrast and badge of honor. “I am happy” provides a direct challenge to those that are not. More often than not, if you say to someone, “I am happy,” it means that you are happier than they are. On the rare occasion that you find another happy person (such as my husband, who almost daily says how happy he is), it becomes, “I am happy too”, meaning either “you’re not better than I am” or “don’t leave me out of your awesome club.”On a completely separate note, I wonder if the melancholy is also part of the Divine, or if that’s all human.

Bonnie April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

Lori, I love this post. I think finding that enter stillness, the devine is really what it’s all about. I’m not very good at it, but working on it. Thank you for sharing.

Wordgirl April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

I love that idea of the still kernel Lori.Thank you for that — for so many things, but especially for that today.Love,Pam

Kristin April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

Beautiful post Lori.

Steph April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

Lori, it’s going around. I think we’ve all had occasion to indulge in that melancholy mood at some point during the last few months. Hope you are feeling content soon and those perfect moments add up!

Lollipop Goldstein April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am