Show & Tell: Captured

February 7, 2009

in Excavating, Parenting, Show & Tell

Last week I showed my documentarian tendencies.

When Tessa was born, my friend Juli (scrapbooker extraordinaire) gave me a beautiful handmade calendar that she designed especially for my daughter.

So it seemed natural that I would add my kids’ journal entries to my nightly routine. Call it a.nal-retentive, obsessive or rigid (as my husband jokingly has), but I am happy to capture each day of their lives until they are able to do so themselves. As Mel suggested last week, I plan to turn over documenting duties to them on their 12th birthdays.

Tessa has 9 calendars so far (Juli’s creations are the two in the upper left):

Reed has 7 (and yes, the second child’s is sloppier; what’s it to ya?):

Thanks to my mom for filling in on the overnights she’s had them. And yes, the kids LOVE scanning a month of their lives and remembering an earlier time.

See what the cool kids are showing and telling over at Mel‘s.

Sam April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

what an absolutely lovely idea – not as onerous as a large journal – just a few words a day – I would do this if I had kids!

The Steadfast Warrior April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

That is so very cool. It will be intersting to see what they have to say about their own lives when they turn 12.

luna April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

such an awesome thing you are doing for them! I love the ritual, and I love that they can look back and remember. you are so amazing! fabulous idea.

Mrs. Olson April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

This is such a great idea! They are going to love having this to look back on when they get older.

Karen April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

What a great idea! Seeing your post last week about your own journals just made me hate myself that I always tore up my own diaries but seeing this one inspires me to do the same for Evie :) I loved reading your journal entries last week, though…how wonderfully soap opera ;)

Michelle April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

I just so love this idea. I have been telling everyone about it.

JuliaS April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

That is an awesome idea. I love the Fancy Nancy calendar too. We love Fancy Nancy and her fabulously fancy words. :0)So, now I am totally like kicking myself for missing this brilliant idea starting some, oh, 15 years ago . . .

Kristin April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

That is such a fabulous idea…wow. I know they are going to love having those keepsakes one day.

battynurse April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

Great idea!!

Buddha of Hollywood April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

what a great idea!I wish I read this 5 years ago :) Well I guess it is never too late to start.Thank you for sharing!

excavator April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

Hey you, I was going to come over here and tell you that Mrs. Spit had given you an award that Martha had nominated you for…but then I got to following a link and than another and a ‘nother and…well, you know. And before I knew it I got notification that you’d already gone over and thanked her.Aw well. Congratulations, though–you deserve it!Love

Fertilized April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

WOW, That is a great idea! Very cleaver

Lollipop Goldstein April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

I seriously could not be more jealous. I really wish I had thought to do this. With calendars so cheap right now, I feel like I need to go grab three and start this. Actually, four, and force Josh to do it too.

Mrs. Spit April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

Someone nominated you for a Toby Award. The Toby’s are a sunday award I run. Stop by and read the nomination when you have a moment.

Michelle April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

Very neat! It will fun for the kids more and more as they get older and look over each month!

Beautiful Mess April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

What a great thing for your kids to have. I bet they will be SO much more appreciative for them, as they get older. Good work and thank you for sharing.

Martha April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

That’s amazing, Wow. You are a true journal keeper extraordinaire.Please click over to Mrs.Spit’s bloghttp://mrsspitspouts.blogspot.com/2009/02/toby-award.html You have received an award. Thank you!

Frenchie April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

Oh, what a great idea!

Busted April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

That’s such a good idea to track things and remember them.

Brenna April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

So fantastic! I’d love to borrow this idea some day down the road. How did I not know that there’s actually a real Fancy Nancy, with her own calendar and everything?! My mom’s name is Nancy, and we often call her Fancy Nancy. I had no idea.

Megan April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

What an awesome idea!!!

Cara April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

My heart is beating so fast with the prospect of them re-reading in years to come!!! I am also (borderline obsessed) scrapbook extraordinaire. However the daily notes ended after the first year. So sad I didn’t think to continue!Thanks for sharing – man – you are a GREAT mom!

Liv April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

My grandmother used to journal in her calendars. We are now putting them together and making a timeline.But, I never thought of doing it for your children. This is a great idea! Good job!

MrsSpock April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

I haven’t even filled out J’s baby book. I’m in awe.

KLTTX April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

Great idea. I wish I had done that for my older DS. There is so much about his early years that I do not remember (and I never kept a baby book). Maybe I’ll start it for my newest addition.

Deathstar April 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

Lori, You’re raising the mom bar too high – ohmigosh, you rock! Is this what moms do?!!! I’m freaking out!