Show & Tell: Rest In Peace

March 1, 2009

in Denver, Excavating, Show & Tell

This week I added to the collection that is under my bed.

If you’ve read here for any length of time, you are aware of my documenting tendencies. One tool I use is journaling, another is newspapers. Specifically, the Rocky Mountain News.

Under my bed I have newspaper editions of meaningful days from the past several years. Such as this one, April 25, 1999, that is still almost unbearable to look at:

Or this one from May of 1999, that signaled the end of an era.

The one below commemorates (incorrectly) the ushering in of a new millennium (which, thanks to that pesky concept of zero, actually happened a year later).

The date this on which event occurred has become its own shorthand for the event itself (9-11 covered on September 12, 2001).

Yet another transition. A change that took place just a few weeks ago.

And finally — and I do mean finally — the end of an era. The paper was forced to close just 55 days shy of its 150th birthday. This is the last Rocky Mountain News I’ll be able to put under my bed.
Other front pages not shown here are from the days each of my children were born. Tessa and Reed will have a snapshot of the world as it was on the days they entered it.

Outside of family, there aren’t many other entities I’ve invited into my home on a daily basis throughout my entire adult life.

The times I’ve lived abroad, the most special of care packages included a few Rocky Mountain News editions.

I have, on occasion, written in the Rocky and been written about in the Rocky. For the past 20+ years, if I’ve been home that day, I have read the Rocky that day.

I have lost a friend, a kindred spirit in documenting our lives and times.

Thank you, my Rocky. I am already missing you terribly.

======

Find out what the other kids are showing and telling today. Click on over to Mel’s Show & Tell.

Kristin April 7, 2010 at 1:28 am

I thought it was terribly sad to hear they were closing. Very cool collection you have.

B April 7, 2010 at 1:28 am

Lovely tribute. I hate the passing of good things. It seems so weighty.

luna April 7, 2010 at 1:28 am

sad day for the rockies. lovely eulogy though. RIP, RMN.

Baby Smiling In Back Seat April 7, 2010 at 1:28 am

I only have one newspaper saved. I have not one but two copies from Cal Ripken breaking the consecutive game streak, since we lived not far from Bal’more at the time. I have two copies of the entire paper — each one is about an inch thick. Every time we move, I stumble onto them and think, “Why am I saving all of this?”Saving just the front page would make a lot more sense.

Terra April 7, 2010 at 1:28 am

I guess I didn’t realize you were a Rocky Mountain MOM! You pry knew that about me though. I was sad to see the Rocky go. I am not a big paper reader…but It was the end of a good long run and the DP bugs me…personal reasons but it does. I think it all started with the call 8252525 for the denver posts first classifides…remember that commercial?

Michelle April 7, 2010 at 1:28 am

I do that same thing. I collect the newspapers and those special edition magazines. I think it will be great to have for my kids, hopefully, some day.

Cara April 7, 2010 at 1:28 am

You have got to be one of the BEST Memorabilia-ists I’ve ever known. The way you use the moment to contribute to the future is amazing.

Phoebe April 7, 2010 at 1:28 am

That’s amazing you still have all those old editions. I knew what the first one was right away and it gave me chills – Columbine.

Arian April 7, 2010 at 1:28 am

It is so sad to see so many of the older businesses falling lately. I hope things pick up again before we lose too many more. I love the pictures of the headlines.

Brenna April 7, 2010 at 1:28 am

My husband was really upset about this, too–he’s from the Denver area. I’ve been a loyal reader of two different newspapers in my life (The Akron Beacon Journal growing up, and the Washington Post in my later life)–you really do develop a very personal connection with a paper I think. It’s very sad. You have such a treasure-trove of memories, though!

Bonnie April 7, 2010 at 1:28 am

I think it’s great that you save those. It is kind of sad. There are so many changes going on all around us these days. Makes me a little uneasy, I don’t love change even though I try to embrace it.. I know that’s what we are suppossed to do and it does usually work out for the best.

Queenie. . . April 7, 2010 at 1:28 am

I was so disturbed to hear about the Rocky Mountain News and the San Fran Chronicle. I rely on newspapers to do the real digging and report the real stories. With most of them on the endangered species list, I am really afraid for what this will mean for learning the truth. I work with the press a lot, and I can tell you that I am 100% convinced that radio and tv news barely scratch the surface. In fact, in my state, they tend to only report what has already been in the paper. It’s so scary to think of how ill-informed we’ll be without the papers.

infertilityrocks April 7, 2010 at 1:28 am

Thanks for such a wonderful trip down memory lane. My mom saved newspapers, as did her mom…so I remember on special rainy days when my mom would let me delve into her cedar chest and read about the day Kennedy was asassinated or when the first moon-walk took place or the crazy way people looked the year I was born.I’ve saved a few papers (Mark Maguire’s Homerun Record, 9/11, STL Cardinal’s winning the World Series, etc) but I didn’t save a paper when my son was born…rats! I didn’t even think of it. If I get a second chance, I’ll do it for the next one…thanks for the inspiration.EVE

PFM April 7, 2010 at 1:28 am

It’s too bad it is no longer in publication. We have our local town paper. It is the only paper I read. I would be sad if it was no longer available.

edenland April 7, 2010 at 1:28 am

Oh, Vale Rocky!I really get how you would miss that, Loz. And no other paper would suffice, I’m sure.However …. on the bright side, all those papers under your bed is kind of a bit of a fire hazard, so lucky it’s stopped now.You are like Princess and the Pea, except with stories and newsprint.Cool.__I have been thinking of you a lot, lately. Didja feel it?xoxoxox

battynurse April 7, 2010 at 1:28 am

Thanks for sharing. I think I still have the paper from May 19, 1980 the day after Mt. Saint Helens blew.

WiseGuy April 7, 2010 at 1:28 am

Phenomenal that!I cut out cartoons and interesting articles from newspapers…The iceberg….I am too lazy to also the cip the dates on them….Thanks for sharing these with us. I may not always comment on your blog, but I like to got through what you write!

mary elizabeth April 7, 2010 at 1:28 am

excellent post-as usual. our town has lost an excellent voice in that paper indeed.

The Steadfast Warrior April 7, 2010 at 1:28 am

That’s so sad! I think that it will be interesting to read through these papers many years from now. Or think about what a treasure trove these will be to future generations who could stumble upon them and be in awe of a time they can only imagine. Do you think you’ll use a new paper and keep going?I, by the way, love hearing about your documenting tendencies.

Roo April 7, 2010 at 1:28 am

I don’t think I have as many editions as you have, but I have several in my cedar chest as well. I was able to pick up a final copy on Saturday morning of the special batch that they ran for those that missed it on Friday. I will be placing this edition in the cedar chest with the others. And I believe that when I do so, it it time to look through the others. I’ve forgotten which ones are there.It is truly sad. I would rather have seen the Post go. So much history will pass with the Rocky being gone.

Cara April 7, 2010 at 1:28 am

Phoebe April 7, 2010 at 1:28 am

edenland April 7, 2010 at 1:28 am

battynurse April 7, 2010 at 1:28 am

WiseGuy April 7, 2010 at 1:28 am

mary elizabeth April 7, 2010 at 1:28 am

The Steadfast Warrior April 7, 2010 at 1:28 am

Roo April 7, 2010 at 1:28 am

Julia April 7, 2010 at 1:28 am

It’s a very sad thing to see newspapers struggle and fail.

Lorza April 7, 2010 at 1:28 am

That is awesome that you collect those. The only papers I have managed to keep are when the Steelers go to the Superbowl. :) The first one brought tears to my eyes. Here from The Show and Tell Classroom!

MrsSpock April 7, 2010 at 1:28 am

It seems print newspapers are going the way of the dinosaur. Too sad.

My Reality April 7, 2010 at 1:28 am

It is always sad to see the end of an era.

Lollipop Goldstein April 7, 2010 at 1:28 am

I would feel the same way if the Post closed. And I too save copies of important days.

Beautiful Mess April 7, 2010 at 1:28 am

Aww what a bummer they are closing. Just shy of their anniversary, too. Too bad they couldn’t stay open, just a little bit longer. We have newspapers from special days, too. Although, like Cassandra, we kept the whole thing. I never even thought of just keeping the front page…oops. I hope you can find another newspaper to replace this one. Thanks for sharing!

Lollipop Goldstein April 7, 2010 at 1:28 am