Show & Tell: Denver’s Big Blue Streak

by Lori Lavender Luz on June 24, 2009

in Denver,Show & Tell

It’s that time of the week where we Show & Tell!

I’m showing two big blue Denver icons.

Click to see the big blue bear.

The guy peeks into the Denver Convention Center. Looking for big blue munchies, maybe? The sculpture, created by Lawrence Argent, is called I See What You Mean.

Mustang, installed at Denver International Airport last year, is quite controversial in these parts — people either love it or hate it (I love it.).

It killed its creator, Luis Jiminez before he had a chance to finish it, and some say the blazing red eyes display its bloodlust. It’s big, it’s blue, and it’s one of the first impressions that air travelers to Denver see. Perspective in this photo is deceptive. Despite its impressive size, Mustang is not bigger than the airport terminal.

**Edited**

By request, I’m adding a photo of the bear from the inside. I took this recently when Tessa and I went to the Colorado Women’s Expo. The light isn’t terrific, but it gives you an idea of the whimsy.

See what the other kiddies are showing and telling at Mel’s Show & Tell.

***

Another day, another chance to vote for Weebles Wobblog. Please click on the blue button, scroll down to the Most Inspiring category, and vote for this blog, currently in 3rd place. (You can also vote for Luna in the same category, for Eden as Most Provocative Blog and for Lollipop as the Blog I’ve Learned the Most From.) Rock the ALI vote!

Here’s a button if you’d like to help me make a good showing against some fabulous blogs. Not that I’m competitive or anything. OK, maybe inspiringly competitive.

(To those of you with the button: I really won’t hurt the cute puppy.)

Kristin April 7, 2010 at 2:41 am

I love, love, love those fabulous blue landmarks.

areyoukiddingme April 7, 2010 at 2:41 am

I like the bear, but I’m not so sure about the horse. I guess I’ll have to come and see it in person before I make a decision.

Queenie. . . April 7, 2010 at 2:41 am

The shades of blue are very happy. The horse has kind of an angry look in his eye. It IS a him, right? Wait, is the horse anatomically correct? That’s a big scary thought!

PFM April 7, 2010 at 2:41 am

Those are cool. We had a horses on parade thing here. Artists drew on fake horses (life size) and made them into artwork. They were placed all over the city and in suburbs.

LJ April 7, 2010 at 2:41 am

He’s totally cool…but REALLY creepy at the same time! Neat story about the artist too!

ak_sapphire April 7, 2010 at 2:41 am

very cool sculptures. the bear is my favorite too…wonder what it looks like from inside the building. bet that’s pretty intimidating!

Carrie April 7, 2010 at 2:41 am

I love the two BLUE Denver landmarks! I will have to see them if I ever come that way. I especially love “I see what you mean”. Happy Wednesday!

Beautiful Mess April 7, 2010 at 2:41 am

I love the bear! He’s so cute, peaking in the windows. Great photos, thanks for sharing them!
*HUGS*

Emmy April 7, 2010 at 2:41 am

It’s been a long time since I’ve been to Colorado and haven’t seen either blue landmarks! Thanks for sharing!

Martha April 7, 2010 at 2:41 am

Love these sculptures, Thanks so much!!

callmemama April 7, 2010 at 2:41 am

I like the whimsical nature of the bear peaking into the window. Very cool!

The horse seems a bit frightening, though. Especially if it is anatomically correct as someone else pointed out. Giant blue horse parts…just kinda weird :)

battynurse April 7, 2010 at 2:41 am

Those are cool. Although I think I like the blue bear the best.

chicklet April 7, 2010 at 2:41 am

Why are they blue?

Baby Smiling In Back Seat April 7, 2010 at 2:41 am

When we were in your fair city a few months ago, I told my husband one day to walk down a certain street then “meet me at the bear.” Huh? “You’ll see what I mean.”

Jolene April 7, 2010 at 2:41 am

Ugh, the blue horse with red eyes creeps me out everytime I drive by…I think it’s weird?!

Mrs. Gamgee April 7, 2010 at 2:41 am

I love ‘roadside’ artwork… those random things that make you really wonder what the population of the area is really like. That bear is truly outstanding!

Sheri April 7, 2010 at 2:41 am

Love the Show and Tell of Denver. I’ve seen the horse, but not the bear. I’m like Chicklet and want to know why they are blue…

ak_sapphire April 7, 2010 at 2:41 am

wow, the bear is massive! i don’t think i would be able to keep my eyes off of it…even though i know it’s not real. guess growing up in alaska will do that to ya though! thanks for including that point of view.

Jamie April 7, 2010 at 2:41 am

I would love to see the bear! Especially from the inside.

I know the stallion – unfortunantly we tend to fly in and out of Denver at night. Why red eyes?!?! Otherwise, he is majestic.

LemonySarah April 7, 2010 at 2:41 am

The bear really is cute. The Stallion, or as my daughter calls it, “The Demon Horse of Doom”, is horrible. Yet it’s not as dreadful as the creepy giant white dancing aliens in front of the Denver Center for the Performing Arts.

I love Denver but the city’s got some awfully weird statuary, all right.

Sunny April 7, 2010 at 2:41 am

Oh loving it!!! I have a soft spot in my heart for Denver and Colorado as a whole because my Dad used to take my brother and I skiing in Breckenridge every year growing up. We flew into Denver and drove into the mountains. I really wanted to move there, but we overshot it a bit and ended up in Seattle. At least we have mountains here too! :)

Phoebe April 7, 2010 at 2:41 am

I love the blue bear! I think it’s one of the best pieces of art I’ve seen in a public place.

I’ve always assumed the “horse” is blue for the Denver broncos. That thing just freaks me out whenever I go to the airport! Thanks for the background story on it.