Show & Tell: What a Difference A Week Makes

July 29, 2009

in Show & Tell, Surgical room 19

My family last week at the Southwick Zoo near Boston:

Reed in the foreground, Tessa in orange, and Roger’s legs.

My view this week:

Roger is just out of sight, to the left. This is the self-medicator, the oxygen tank, the commode.

Tessa and Reed are in Park City, UT, enjoying the company of the rest of my family at my parents’ 50th anniversary celebration. They are all having a good time and missing Roger and me (and us them). It’s such a godsend that the kids are well taken are of and properly diverted.

***

The bright spot of this past week is the astounding support that’s been directed at us, both online and IRL. It is, at times, almost unbearable (in a good way). A post is brewing on that.

***

Brief update: Doc is fairly certain there are no neuro issues — I feel like she heard me and addressed my concerns. Changing up the pain meds to address the headaches/nausea. Roger is a “lightweight when it comes to narcotics,” in the words of the trauma surgeon. Chest x-ray looks better today, but he’s still having difficulty inhaling. Will start heparin shots in belly to avoid clotting in legs. But we also need to avoid bleeding in the lung. Changed the IV –they’re good for 4 days (I didn’t know that). He walked around the ward twice this morning, then I gave him a sponge bath and cap-shampoo. He’s been sleeping for several hours.

Thanks to all my medical friends and those who are well-versed in Hospital for such great advice. I felt emboldened this morning to speak up.

An while I am reading all of your comments, I am giving myself a pass on responding to each one. Please know I appreciate all your care, concern, advice and love.

***

See what my classmates are showing and telling at Mel’s Show & Tell. And show something yourself (if you’re not already IN the class, you can join — we’re a very nice group).

Sunny April 7, 2010 at 2:42 am

I’m glad you are feeling heard! It’s difficult when we are overwhelmed and feel like we don’t have anyone taking us seriously. Still sending prayers that the recovery goes quickly.

My name is Andy. April 7, 2010 at 2:42 am

Glad you got through to them and that they heard you!

Thinking of all of you!!!

Furrow April 7, 2010 at 2:42 am

Whew. I’m glad to see this update. And glad you’re feeling heard by the docs!

Kami April 7, 2010 at 2:42 am

What a difference a week makes, indeed.

I am breathing easier now. Thanks for the update and lots of healing your way.

Kristin April 7, 2010 at 2:42 am

I’m so glad the doc addressed your concerns and that Roger seems to be doing better. And, seriously, feel free to call at any time, even if you just need to talk.

Heather April 7, 2010 at 2:42 am

If I’ve learned anything over the past month it is just that time takes time and two steps forward can be followed by one step back.

Hopefully in another week or two this will all just be a bad memory!!

Michelle April 7, 2010 at 2:42 am

That is for sure!

Thanks for the update. I am glad that today you are feeling like the doctors heard and addressed your concerns. I am also happy to hear that he is up and around today. I hope he continues to get better and soon! ((HUGS))

battynurse April 7, 2010 at 2:42 am

That is a big difference.
I’m glad you talked to the doctor and felt like you were heard. I hope that he continues to do well and will soon be chest tube free. Thinking of you all and sending hugs and healing thoughts.

becomingwhole April 7, 2010 at 2:42 am

A bit of relief on this end. So glad for a positive update. :)

Miss Tori April 7, 2010 at 2:42 am

I’ve been thinking of Roger, though I haven’t commented. I’m glad that you’ve had your fears addressed and that he is getting the care he needs.

I’m wishing him a speedy and thorough recovery.

MrsSpock April 7, 2010 at 2:42 am

Glad he’s improving and it doesn’t look like something bad.

Don’t be afraid to call anytime!

edenland April 7, 2010 at 2:42 am

Mate you spread so much love and support throughout the people in your life – and the blogosphere, it’s only natural you get it given back to you. You are a beautiful person.

Your Show and Tell post clearly shows and tells your whole world turning on its axis in the blink of an eye. You are there in the hospital room, asking doctors questions, helping with oxygen …. coping amazingly with your sudden new reality.

It’s wonderful that Rog is on the up …. totally rooting for him to make a full and speedy recovery. (Heh. Rooting in Australia means “f**king”.)

Also, tell Rog if he is a lightweight on the narcotics he would make a terrible junkie ;)

XOXOXXOXOXOXOOXOXOXOXOXO

Life in Eden April 7, 2010 at 2:42 am

Glad for the update. Never expected you to contact me directly (crazy girl). Hoping the healing continues.

Narcotics can be funny. My dad is super strong — gets root canal with no pain meds, none. Then gets quadruple bypass and they can’t seem to give him enough drugs to get him comfortable (initially) after surgery. Pain management is the bane of any medical professional.

PFM April 7, 2010 at 2:42 am

Thinking of you guys.

Katie April 7, 2010 at 2:42 am

Thanks for the update. I’ve been thinking about you guys today. I’m glad that Roger is doing well. Still sending lots of prayers :)

Suzy April 7, 2010 at 2:42 am

Keeping you in my thoughts and sending lots of healing prayers!

Mrs. Gamgee April 7, 2010 at 2:42 am

I’m sorry to say that I haven’t popped by in a while, and I have missed all that is happening in your world. Sending prayers for continued recovery and quick healing. (((hugs)))

Lollipop Goldstein April 7, 2010 at 2:42 am

Oh hon, take care of yourself right now (and R), not us. It is crazy how quickly life can change.

Kork April 7, 2010 at 2:43 am

I’m so glad to hear you had a good response from the brain-doc, and will continue praying for Roger and you, as well as your folks and the kids.

Thank you for keeping us updated so much.

kate April 7, 2010 at 2:43 am

Yes. What a difference a week can make. I have been reading, but haven’t commented because I so rarely say the right thing. None the less, I just want you to know that I’m wishing a speedy recovery for your husband, and that the news continues to be better and better and better as the days pass.

Leigh April 7, 2010 at 2:43 am

So glad to hear that your concerns were addressed and that he seems to be doing well.

Keep hanging in there! We’re all thinking of you guys and wishing you the best.

IdleMindOfBeth April 7, 2010 at 2:43 am

SO glad to hear that things are better today! Hopefully yesterday was just a bad day after a string of good days.

And honestly, glad to hear that he’s a narcotics “lightweight”, too. I am as well, and my own theory is that it allows for more options to find something that will work without knocking me for a loop or having those yucky side effects.

And walking around the ward is WONDERFUL! NOTHING can do a better job of keeping the blood flowing and the body healing than simple movement, a little at a time, but as frequently as he can tolerate.

Sending love and energy your way.

Phoebe April 7, 2010 at 2:43 am

It is amazing how life can change in a blink of the eye. I’m glad you voiced your concerns. It can be daunting, especially when you feel like you are doing someone else’s job, like your doctor’s, but that is the unfortunate reality of “health care” these days. You have to be your own advocate. I’m glad a change in the pain meds has helped. Don’t be alarmed if your hubby bruises like crazy on the heparin. My DH had to do shots last year when he had his hip replaced, and his whole leg bruised up. Luckily, it heals fast one the shots are over.

BIG HUGS to you. Being the caretaker is a tough job!

Wishing 4 One April 7, 2010 at 2:43 am

I just watched the video, thank God he is ok. I’m so sorry Lori, i haven’t visited in a while, but glad to hear all the great support you have. Just know I am interneting healing thoughts from Cairo to you and Roger… xoxoxoxoxo

Cathy April 7, 2010 at 4:18 am

Let me guess – Lovenox in the belly? After Scott’s PE’s on October he was on it. Only side effect horrid bruising. Each day will get better. Been thinking about you lots. Let me know what I can do from here.

excavator April 7, 2010 at 4:18 am

Hey, you! Sorry to come late to this. You got good advice though, and I’m glad that your concerns were addressed. I sure hope that today finds things looking up even more. Especially the part about an improved inhale.

Thinking of you and Roger, with love,

Debora

Heather April 7, 2010 at 4:18 am

lurker here, just wanted to say I’m glad things are looking a bit up.

Aunt Becky April 7, 2010 at 4:18 am

Thinking of you all. Haven’t stopped.

LJ April 7, 2010 at 4:18 am

I’m hoping that next week has far fewer beeping and blipping things attached to Roger…

Lassie April 7, 2010 at 4:18 am

Just catching up on google reader. Man, you have so much on your plate. I’m joining the chorus of those that are wishing Roger good health and peace. Take care of yourself.

mary elizabeth April 7, 2010 at 4:18 am

: )

i am happy to read this. glad you got your thoughts expressed and understood to the docs. glad the kids are taken care of in park city. glad you and r have each other. glad he’s on his way to recovery. just glad glad glad. hugs to you my friend.