Perfect Moment Monday: Illumination

December 14, 2009

in Adoption, Adoptive parenting, Book Club, Perfect Moment

Perfect Moment Monday is about noticing a perfect moment rather than creating one. Perfect moments can be momentous or ordinary or somewhere in between.

Once a week we engage in mindfulness about something that is right with our world. Everyone is welcome to join. Details on how to participate are at the bottom of this post, complete with bloggy bling.

Please visit the links of the participants at the bottom.

Here’s a perfect moment from my week. I hope you’ll share yours, too.

====================================

I accomplished something big (to me) and I’m feeling pretty good about it.

There’s a book title that’s been bandied around in Adoption World, a book with a mystique and a message that not everyone in Adoption World wants to hear or is ready to hear.

I asked Adoption World to read the book with me and have a dialog about it. It was risky, I knew. Flames could erupt, bloggy b0mbs could go off, feelings could get hurt, flying monkeys could be sicced (no offense to Flying Monkeys) if people assembled troops and defended their territories.

But with the help of some respected voices, as well as from the 40 participants who have been very generous with their thoughts, so far the tone has been respectful, the discussion illuminating. The book is The Primal Wound: Understanding the Adopted Child, and if you have any interest in adoption at all — if there’s someone in your life involved in adoption — you may wish to read what adoptees, firstparents, adoptive parents and pre-adoptive parents have to say about the impression the book made on them. See participants from Day 1, Day 2, and Day 3.

And read what author Nancy Verrier herself has to say next week, as she answers some of the questions we posed to her. Subscribe if you want to be notified when her responses are posted.

This book tour was a LOT of work to put this together. My hat is newly off to Melissa, who has run 2 dozen book tours over the years, and whose idea I shamelessly stole borrowed. I will not take her role in them for granted again.

Sigh of satisfaction. I’m in need of a short bloggy break.

====================================

To participate in Perfect Moment Monday:

1. Between Sunday night and Tuesday night, write up your own Perfect Moment in a blog post, on Twitter, on Facebook, or simply leave a comment below.
  2. Grab the URL of your Perfect Moment.
  3. Use MckLinky below to enter your (or your blog’s) name and the URL of your Perfect Moment
  4. Visit the Perfect Moments of others (from the links below), and let the writers know you were there.

Once you make a Perfect Moment post , you may place this button on your blog.

What Perfect Moment have you recently been aware of? Be sure to visit these moments and share the love, and please come back next week (click to subscribe).

Baby Smiling In Back Seat April 7, 2010 at 5:02 am

Congrats! I’ve enjoyed what I’ve done so far.

Projects like that are always more work that people can guess.

Delenn April 7, 2010 at 5:02 am

Sounds like a lot of work, but very satisfying!

Baby Smiling In Back Seat April 7, 2010 at 5:02 am

Congrats! I’ve enjoyed what I’ve done so far.

Projects like that are always more work that people can guess.

Delenn April 7, 2010 at 5:02 am

Sounds like a lot of work, but very satisfying!

Quiet Dreams April 7, 2010 at 5:02 am

You made it look easy. I’ve really enjoyed following along, also. I’m intrigued enough to want to read the book, btw. :)

Cassi April 7, 2010 at 5:02 am

I think you did an amazing job with the book tour.

Thanks for all the work and effort you put into it.

I’ve learned a lot from the many different posts and have actually found some new blogs to read.

Great job!

Sheri April 7, 2010 at 5:02 am

I know how much work this has been for you and how good you must feel to have had such a great response.

In reading through the reviews of the book and the questions, this was a great book to stimulate conversations about adoption.

Hats off to you for a very successful book tour!

Sandy April 7, 2010 at 5:02 am

Congratulations! I am thoroughly impressed with all of your hard work. You DO deserve a break! :)

I wanted to participate in Perfect Moment Monday today but wrote a poem for Oscar over the weekend that kind of did me in emotionally, AND I’m working on a blog overhaul (template, etc.), so I’m going to skip it this week. Thank you, as always, for hosting. My New Year’s resolution is to participate every week.

My name is Andy. April 7, 2010 at 5:02 am

Thanks for inviting me along. It’s been fun! and no flames yet!!

Stacie April 7, 2010 at 5:02 am

Way to go on the organizing! It sounds like the book tour was a great success!

I’ll have to go check out what the participants have said. One of my very dear friends is adopted, and is just now talking about how her adoption affected her and her life (she’s nearing 50). Maybe this book would give me some insight into how to best support her?

Baby Smiling In Back Seat April 7, 2010 at 5:02 am

Oops, I’ve enjoyed what I’ve read so far.

Quiet Dreams April 7, 2010 at 5:02 am

Cassi April 7, 2010 at 5:02 am

I think you did an amazing job with the book tour.

Thanks for all the work and effort you put into it.

Great job!

Sheri April 7, 2010 at 5:02 am

Hats off to you for a very successful book tour!

Sandy April 7, 2010 at 5:02 am

My name is Andy. April 7, 2010 at 5:02 am

Thanks for inviting me along. It’s been fun! and no flames yet!!

Stacie April 7, 2010 at 5:02 am

Way to go on the organizing! It sounds like the book tour was a great success!

Baby Smiling In Back Seat April 7, 2010 at 5:02 am

Oops, I’ve enjoyed what I’ve read so far.

Sunny April 7, 2010 at 5:02 am

Congratulations on that big accomplishment! I am off to read the book tour…

PFM April 7, 2010 at 5:02 am

Awesome job. Glad it was a success.

Sunny April 7, 2010 at 5:02 am

Congratulations on that big accomplishment! I am off to read the book tour…

PFM April 7, 2010 at 5:02 am

Awesome job. Glad it was a success.

chicklet April 7, 2010 at 5:02 am

Well done on the book tour. I’m sure it was a TON of work, but you seemed to have rocked it. Well well done my friend:-)

Alana April 7, 2010 at 5:02 am

Kudos to you for a successful book share!

My older sister gave up a child for adoption when I was in high school. As the “baby” would’ve turned 18 this month, I’ve been thinking a lot about both of them. Thanks for the book recommendation. :)

Geochick April 7, 2010 at 5:02 am

Thank YOU for putting the tour together.

mamabirdsblog April 7, 2010 at 5:02 am

You’re doing great work, Lori! Hats off to you and your dedication! Love you!

chicklet April 7, 2010 at 5:02 am

Alana April 7, 2010 at 5:02 am

Kudos to you for a successful book share!

Geochick April 7, 2010 at 5:02 am

Thank YOU for putting the tour together.

mamabirdsblog April 7, 2010 at 5:02 am

You’re doing great work, Lori! Hats off to you and your dedication! Love you!

MrsSpock April 7, 2010 at 5:02 am

I’ve really enjoyed reading what participants have said, who come from all sides of the adoption spectrum.

MrsSpock April 7, 2010 at 5:02 am

luna April 7, 2010 at 5:02 am

quite an accomplishment! thanks so much for organizing it. you are a rockstar!

luna April 7, 2010 at 5:02 am

quite an accomplishment! thanks so much for organizing it. you are a rockstar!