Perfect Moment Monday: Jab/Cross

by Lori Lavender Luz on February 22, 2010

in Perfect Moment

Perfect Moment Monday is about noticing a perfect moment rather than creating one. Perfect moments can be momentous or ordinary or somewhere in between.

Once a week we engage in mindfulness about something that is right with our world. Everyone is welcome to join. Details on how to participate are at the bottom of this post, complete with bloggy bling.

Please visit the links of the participants at the bottom.

Here’s a perfect moment from my week. I hope you’ll share yours, too.

====================================

Y’all know about my passions. My family, yoga, blogging, and exploring the complexities of open adoption. A few months ago, I fell into a new one.

I was late one Saturday morning to a class at the gym so I decided to take the next one. It had always looked waaaaay too far above my athletic abilities, both in endurance and in coordination.

It was a TurboKick class. And even though I was intimidated, this is my year of facing fears, so I decided to go in, hang out in the back, and get through it the best I could.

Did I mention I hadn’t been in an aerobic-type class in more than a decade? That I really hate to sweat? That I always assume others are better than I am and will laugh at me?

No matter. I went in. And LOVED IT! I had never ever thrown a punch before. Now I knew four different kinds. Plus four different kinds of kicks, to boot (haha). A dozen classes later, I still don’t look as boxing-ring-ready as the instructor does, but my form is slowly getting better.

I feel my body changing. I’m stronger in my core. I can give more longer. And it just feels good. I feel powerful.

Who woulda guessed that jab + cross + hook + uppercut = perfect moment?

====================================

To participate in Perfect Moment Monday:

1. Between Sunday night and Tuesday night, write up your own Perfect Moment in a blog post, on Twitter, on Facebook, or simply leave a comment below.
  2. Grab the URL of your Perfect Moment.
  3. Use MckLinky below to enter your (or your blog’s) name and the URL of your Perfect Moment
  4. Visit the Perfect Moments of others (from the links below), and let the writers know you were there.

Once you make a Perfect Moment post , you may place this button on your blog.

What Perfect Moment have you recently been aware of? Be sure to visit these moments and share the love, and please come back next week (click to subscribe).

christina April 7, 2010 at 5:57 am

Makes me want to give it a try! Good for you for still trying despite being intimidated, don’t you love those surprises that life sometimes offers!?

Christina
iclw

Baby Smiling In Back Seat April 7, 2010 at 5:57 am

Back when I used to do classes, I found kickboxing to be the most effective. The fun element depended on the teacher.

Personally my favorite was the hitch kick. Hi-ya!

Quiet Dreams April 7, 2010 at 5:57 am

Sounds like fun! I’m also feeling a bit intimidated by the classes at my gym. Standing at the back sounds like a good strategy! :)

Myndi April 7, 2010 at 5:57 am

Wow. The video was intimidating! You and I have similar feelings about working out and trying something like this. I’d be right in the back of the class with you! Still, I imagine as you start to master it, it becomes almost a little addictive. I find whenever I get back into an exercise routine, I start to feel really good. For some reason, I’m always shocked how it builds up my self-esteem and shores up my sense of self. Empowering is definitely the right word for it.

Congrats on tackling something you weren’t sure of and falling in love with it!

Tami April 7, 2010 at 5:57 am

And can I mention that Lori has an upper-cut that would intimidate Sylvester Stallone? That Mike Tyson would wince from her kicks?

Well, maybe she’s not THAT good, but she’s good. Very good. No need for her to feel intimidated!

And I get to get back to jab-crossing with her soon! Perfect moment for me.

Mrs. Bushey April 7, 2010 at 5:57 am

Sounds like a great idea! I hate going to the gym…to self conscious.

areyoukiddingme April 7, 2010 at 5:57 am

Because I am a clod, I won’t even join a gym. But, I have a Kick & Jab workout that I do at home sometimes. I hadn’t done it in a while, but that was my workout the other morning. My shoulders are still sore.

Good for you for trying something different. I hope no one ever tries to mug you!

battynurse April 7, 2010 at 5:57 am

Good for you. Glad you’re enjoying it. Looking at that video though makes me think I would hurt myself trying some of those moves. I’m not very coordinated.

RobinJP April 7, 2010 at 5:57 am

What fun. I studied karate for many years and was the fittest ever during that time. It’s so fun, isn’t it. You use your head to learn the combinations and your big muscles for power and quick twitch muscles for speed reactions.
Hopefully you’ll never have to use it, but knowing that you can throw a punch does give you a certain amount of confidence.
Enjoy. Thanks for sharing. It helps remind me of many perfect moments I had on the mat.

Perfect Moment Project

Gurlee April 7, 2010 at 5:57 am

What a great idea. Mindfulness, seeing those “perfect moments”. I am gonna try it-
thanks!
ICLW

Flying Monkeys April 7, 2010 at 5:57 am

You go girl!

Here’s a TMI for you but it’s hilarious…now. I pulled a vaginal muscle doing Tae Bo once. Yeah, I didn’t know you could pull those either. You can. So I avoid workouts where I have to raise my leg and kick in any direction. I like my happy zone to stay happy.

I’m glad you enjoy it, it’s interesting to me how much I like some things I never thought I would.

Geochick April 7, 2010 at 5:57 am

Fun!

K April 7, 2010 at 5:57 am

Sounds fun!! Also seems empowering.

Sheri April 7, 2010 at 5:57 am

Sounds like it all adds up perfectly!

I’m so glad you found something you like AND it’s good for you.

Hopefully I’ll get to go with you again on Spring Break!

Kristin April 7, 2010 at 5:57 am

That sounds like such a fun class.

Sunny April 7, 2010 at 5:57 am

Oooooh, I would love to do something like this! Kicking some butt and taking some names, you go girl.

Fishsticks and Fireflies April 7, 2010 at 5:57 am

Wow! That video scares me just a bit, but I bet the workout is awesome! And how cool that you jumped right in and gave it a try – and that you are enjoying it!

Mrs Woggie April 7, 2010 at 5:57 am

Here from ICLW.

That sounds like a load of fun and how great it’s toning your body!

Krissi April 7, 2010 at 5:57 am

Love this idea! Good for you for taking that class! When my knees were better, I did love these classes. Unfortunately, I now battle a healing broken foot and everything must be low-impact! Happy ICLW! Just added your link to my blog!

chicklet April 7, 2010 at 5:57 am

Nicely done!

Lavender Luz April 7, 2010 at 5:57 am

FlyingMonkeys — too funny! And the most quotable comment of the day.

Hey, y’all — CatherineMcEachern is my but-kicking teacher. Hi, Cat!

She makes us meow when she says her name. So meow.

Sandy April 7, 2010 at 5:57 am

I love a good exercise class! I forget how good exercise makes me feel until I haven’t done it in awhile. I REALLY need to start running again. Or just do a yoga tape. Thanks for the inspiration!

Suzy April 7, 2010 at 5:57 am

Glad you gave it a try. I’m very uncoordinated! Maybe I need to try an aerobic class sometime. : )

..Soo.See.. April 7, 2010 at 5:57 am

Fun!! I love aerobics classes. I’m such a wimp w/ other things, but somehow I’m able to coordinate and follow the commands shouted out. I kick serious butt in Step! Lol.. Glad you tried it out!!

catherine.mceachern April 7, 2010 at 5:57 am

WOW! Lori you are ROCKIN it in class and I think you’ll agree the class is much easier and more doable than the video leads on to! Everyone can do Turbo Kick and if you’re an at-home workout type of person, you can do it with Turbo Jam from Team Beachbody (www.teambeachbody.com/cattitude)!

Kami April 7, 2010 at 5:57 am

Good for you! I am looking forward to finding / making the time for more aerobic activity.

Wishing 4 One April 7, 2010 at 5:57 am

I haven’t been to a gym in years! I did use to enjoy the aerobic classes though. I felt like a dork at first, but then I looked around and everyone looked stupid actually, so it was all good. People tried to act like they knew what they were doing, including me, but they were not fooling anyone. LOL.

Lollipop Goldstein April 7, 2010 at 5:57 am

I’m just impressed that you continuously go to a class. I’m a basement exerciser just so no one else can see me and I don’t have to get my ass into a car :-)

mamabirdsblog April 7, 2010 at 5:57 am

You’re in such great shape already! I’m sure you kicked butt! Ha!

cowboybootlady April 7, 2010 at 5:57 am

Turbo Kick!? Sounds like quite the workout and fun! Have you ever tried Zumba? Dancing fun while getting a workout!

Martha April 7, 2010 at 5:57 am

Great Perfect Moment Monday! I heart the martial arts and hope to get my second degree black belts someday.

MrsSpock April 7, 2010 at 5:57 am

I felt the same way about trying Zumba class, and now I love it. Glad I tried!