Perfect Moment Monday: Croon

July 4, 2010

in Perfect Moment

Perfect Moment Monday is about noticing a perfect moment rather than creating one. Perfect moments can be momentous or ordinary or somewhere in between.

Once a week we engage in mindfulness about something that is right with our world. Everyone is welcome to join. Details on how to participate are at the bottom of this post, complete with bloggy bling.

Please visit the links of the participants at the bottom.

Here’s a perfect moment from my week. I hope you’ll share yours, too.

====================================

I tweeted through my nervousness. I met my Vino Support Group at a dive bar for karaoke night. It was the first time I’d tried karaoke (literal translation: empty orchestra) since I left Japan 20 years ago.

As we looked through an enormous notebook that listed song selections, we ordered drinks to help fortify us. Rose said she didn’t like being in the limelight and would probably just watch. Jeannie left sticky notes on 4 dozen songs — mostly heavy metal — and had difficulty choosing which one to write on the slip and submit to the DJ. Michelle showed up a little late and ready to sing.

My nervousness began to irritate me, so I just decided on something: Viva La Vida by Coldplay. I was able to finish my Gin & Tonic in the time it took  for my slip to move to the top of the DJ’s pile. When he called my name I had the same feeling of walking toward the gallows as I did before my last dental surgery.

But my legs carried me up to the stage and I sang. The key was just a hair low for me and the DJ gestured that I should sing louder, but in the lower range I couldn’t. Once I got to REVOLUTIONAAAAARIES WAIT… FOR MY HEAD.ON A SILVER PLATE, though, I was belting it out. And it wasn’t too shabby, if I do say so myself.

Of course, my friends might beg to differ. After all, I was merely singing and they were actually listening.

Rose took a photo, but the conditions weren’t great for distance, lighting or clarity.

One thing about karaoke is that it’s addictive, for me, anyway. I am petrified my first time up, and then I can barely wait for my next turn.

Eventually we turned in other song requests. All four of us got up to perform Copacabana. During the long instrumental bridge we conga-ed through the room, getting the other patrons involved in our song. Jeannie and I closed out the night with Billy Joel’s Piano Man, of which I had no recollection that it was a 20 minute long song. Or seemed to be that time.

It was a perfectly fun night with my girlfriends. We might even do it again. And maybe I’ll subject you to an audio clip. Hehe.

====================================

To participate in Perfect Moment Monday:

1. Between Sunday night and Tuesday night, write up your own Perfect Moment in a blog post, on Twitter, on Facebook, or simply leave a comment below.
  2. Grab the URL of your Perfect Moment.
  3. Use LinkyTools below to enter your blog’s name and the URL of your Perfect Moment
  4. Visit the Perfect Moments of others (from the links below), and let the writers know you were there.

Once you make a Perfect Moment post , you may place this button on your blog.

What Perfect Moment have you recently been aware of? Be sure to visit these moments and share the love, and please come back next week (click to subscribe).

Sheri July 4, 2010 at 8:17 pm

I am SO proud of you for pushing past your nervousness and singing your heart out!

I KNOW you have a great voice so I have no doubts as to the quality of the songs you sang. And I’m NOT surprised that you got up on stage several more times.

Yeah! It sounds like (although I wasn’t there to actually hear your sing) a perfect moment to me!!!

Were there any scouts in the audience? Any plans for an American Idol appearance???

Rachel July 4, 2010 at 8:18 pm

I will not do karaoke. Not after “Beat It” on my 21st birthday…

Lavender Luz July 5, 2010 at 10:16 am

Now THAT sounds like a blog post!

Ziggy July 5, 2010 at 12:30 am

Haha, Im like that, too!! Takes forever for me to get up for that first song, n after that, the mic doesn’t leave my hand! Sounds like you ladies had an excellent night :)

mrs spock July 5, 2010 at 5:39 am

I think I would need 18 Gin and Tonics before I could bring myself to torment a crowd with my singing.

Leigh July 5, 2010 at 6:23 am

Is this where I leave my link? http://sturdyyetfragile.blogspot.com/2010/07/perfect-moment-monday.html

Here’s my contribution :)

Lavender Luz July 5, 2010 at 10:16 am

I put it in for you, Leigh. So glad you’re in this week!

RobinJP July 5, 2010 at 7:41 am

You neglected to mention that you also sent out a plea to Twitter fans to give you fortitude. And now you tease us with this written report. We’ve got to get you set up on TweetMic. We need audio. I’ll pre-order the DVD of your next outing. Sending my $15.95 via PayPal.

Lavender Luz July 5, 2010 at 10:17 am

You crack me up!

Just found out about SingSnap from a Facebook friend. Check her out:

Oh, dear. I didn’t think I’d really have to follow THROUGH on the audio clip thingy.

More fortitude, please!

Melissa @ Full Circle July 5, 2010 at 10:00 am

I missed th Twitter plea and a wee bit disappointed there was not a YouTube video. I’m with RobinJP.. sending in my preorder.

You ARE a SupahStah!

Lavender Luz July 5, 2010 at 10:19 am

Nah, just a WannaBe.

We should do this sometime, Melissa! There’s gotta be a karaoke place in between us.

Quiet Dreams July 5, 2010 at 11:54 am

I would pay money to see video of this. And I heard you sing (with your sisters) Dona Nobis Pacem, so I’m sure it was FANTASTIC.

a July 5, 2010 at 12:43 pm

I would love to see the video too!

Sandy July 5, 2010 at 2:18 pm

Ooooh, I TOTALLY envy people who can sing, or who are inclined to sing in public. I sing to the radio, in private ONLY. Sometimes I sing to Oscar…

Mel July 6, 2010 at 5:49 am

Woohoo! Next time, you need a flip video and have someone tape it for us :-)

Kir July 6, 2010 at 8:52 am

what a wonderful perfect moment!!!!! WOW, I’m so impressed with your song choice, a hard song to sing!!!!!! GO YOU!!!!!!

I want to hear the audio!!!! :)

JJ July 12, 2010 at 5:58 pm

When I saw your tweets about this, I said out loud: “Oooh I wanna go!” How fun would it be to have lots of blog buddies together singing “I Will Survive!”