Gesticulator

by Lori Lavender Luz on October 19, 2010

in Vlog

Have I  mentioned here that I recently bought a new car? If you follow me on Twitter, you know that I’ve been jonzing for a Honda Pilot for a very long time, even though I was very attached to my first mom-car, a 1999 Honda CR-V.

I intended to buy a young used car, but according to several dealers I spoke with, and my own research on CraigsList and in the classified ads, Cash for Clunkers pretty much wiped out the availability of pre-owned 2009 and 2010 models.

But there were plenty of clunkers available — yay!

Not.

Anyway. I told our car-buying story at MileHighMamas.com last month.

That article got the attention of a local news station and consumer reporter. And that’s how I ended up gesticulating wildly on MartinoTV.  I’m on from about 1:10 to about 3:10. If you look carefully, you can see my old car, Betty, behind the AutoSearch guy.

So my advice? If you’re not an expert at negotiating for a car, consider using an auto broker.

And take a chill pill before going on camera to talk about it.

a October 19, 2010 at 7:26 am

My husband is the negotiator. I do the test driving. We are a lethal combination. :) The sales guys don’t expect me to notice things like acceleration power and how the car shifts – they probably just think I wonder about the convenience of the mirrors and cupholders (also important). So they are always at a loss when I mention these things…and how I’m used to a little more power, since my last 4 cylinder was a turbo.

You did have some wild hands going there! But, careful editing could have taken care of that – I blame the producer.

battynurse October 19, 2010 at 9:28 am

Wow. You’re a star!
Enjoy your new car.

Quiet Dreams October 19, 2010 at 9:28 am

Hee, hee, hee! No, really, I’m laughing WITH you! :)

Lori Lavender Luz October 19, 2010 at 10:25 am

I know better!

luna October 19, 2010 at 11:33 am

you are so damn cute!

in the first clip you’ve got the wild hands, but it looks like you took the chill pill and did some yoga before the second clip.. or maybe the coffee wore off?

way to go on the new ride!

Kristin October 19, 2010 at 3:58 pm

*snicker*snicker* um, er, You were wonderful. I’m really lucky and our insurance company will negotiate car purchases for us.

Mel October 19, 2010 at 8:47 pm

You look lovely, no matter what your hands are doing, and I love seeing you.

Jamie harlan October 20, 2010 at 8:37 am

What a sweet ride!! I have never heard of that group before – thanks for the info. Just thinking about car shopping makes my BP jump at least 20 points.

You did great!!

Kir October 21, 2010 at 8:00 am

AWESOME and I love that I know another woman who can’t talk without her hands….You looked great, did great and GOOD JOB on the new ride!!!!! SWEET!

xo

mrs spock October 27, 2010 at 8:02 pm

I have ZERO car negotiation ability. That’s my husband’s job. I gladly take over all the health care stuff if he will only wheel and deal for a new car once every decade or so.

Liz October 29, 2010 at 3:18 pm

It looks like I need to watch the video to find out more, but I wanted to quick mention that we got a Pilot earlier this year, and it’s been pure bliss. :)

Sheri November 9, 2010 at 1:36 pm

I thought it was great — including the gesticulations!

Can I have an autograph?