Perfect Moment Monday: Homing

by Lori Lavender Luz on February 20, 2011

in Family,Perfect Moment

Roger got home early from work one afternoon. He headed upstairs to change clothes and I followed him.

(Don’t worry, this post isn’t going there.)

We reclined on the bed and talked about our days, checked in with each other in a way that we don’t often get a chance to do.

(Still not going there.)

Before long, it was time for the kids to get home from school. We waited with anticipation to hear the commotion in the front yard, right below our bedroom window, that would signal their arrival.

We heard the first sounds as the children walked up the street,  and both of us leapt to the window. Tessa and Reed were strolling toward the house, chatting with each other, their body language showing only happiness and camaraderie.

They were unaware that we were watching them until Roger rapped loudly on the window. I joined in and both kids looked up, puzzled. Quickly they realized that we were their personal welcoming committee. Their faces lit up, all of us joyous at our reunion.

I love the image of our home as a magnet, gentle with our leavings each morning and always, always drawing us back together.

====================================

Perfect Moment Monday is about noticing a perfect moment rather than creating one. Perfect moments can be momentous or ordinary or somewhere in between.

Once a week we engage in mindfulness about something that is right with our world. Everyone is welcome to join.

To participate in Perfect Moment Monday:

1. Follow this blog.
  2. Between Sunday night and Tuesday night, write up your own Perfect Moment.
  3. Use LinkyTools below to enter your name (or your site/blog name) and the URL of your Perfect Moment.
  4. Visit the Perfect Moments of others and let the writers know you were there with some comment currency.

Once you make a Perfect Moment post , you may place this button on your blog.What Perfect Moment have you recently been aware of? Visit these moments of others and share your comment love.

a February 20, 2011 at 8:08 pm

It’s nice to have some time to yourselves – just to talk or enjoy the silence – and nicer still to surprise the kids with an unexpected welcoming committee! (My girl loves it when her dad comes to pick her up from daycare, because I am the one who usually does it.)

Meredith February 20, 2011 at 8:10 pm

This was such a beautiful post Lori! It brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing your perfect moments; I really look forward to your posts!

Barb February 20, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Beautiful. :) And isn’t that what it’s all about and what we are all striving toward?

Jamie February 20, 2011 at 9:03 pm

I love it. What a perfect way to start an afternoon!

Kristin February 21, 2011 at 1:41 am

Absolutely perfectly wonderful!

Kir February 21, 2011 at 4:57 am

that was one of my favorite perfect moments…I just love the idea of the house being a refuge, a place that people ‘come home” to..wonderful.
Plus to see their faces, all lit up in happiness that their parents are home!!! well my heart just skipped a beat.

LOVELY. :)

Andy February 21, 2011 at 6:04 am

That is so nice!!!!

Mrs. Gamgee February 21, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Sounds wonderful! I look forward to moments like that in the future!

m. February 21, 2011 at 2:15 pm

yay. thank you for sharing those moments. They were nice ones.

Chris Bird February 21, 2011 at 7:26 pm

So nice to be able to enjoy the silence, and the breaks in it while we still can, remembering that one day, it will just be us.

andrea February 21, 2011 at 8:05 pm

perfect, for sure.

Sheri February 22, 2011 at 7:11 am

I can imagine this scene unfolding, including the quiet (precious) time of talking and catching up with Roger…and then the homecoming with the kids and their smiling faces — and then family sounds all around.

Perfect…

Suzy February 22, 2011 at 10:53 am

I love how you describe this moment. I can picture what everyone is doing! What a sweet time for you and the hubby and the kids too!

Love it!
xo

Robin Phillips February 23, 2011 at 8:25 am

How warm and loving. What a beautiful home you’ve all made. Great post.

mrs spock February 23, 2011 at 9:46 am

When I read this I thought of all the sad stories of kids who cross my desk at work, who have nothing but fear to welcome them home. How wonderful to hear an opposite story for a change!

Kathy February 25, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Definitely a beautiful and perfect moment for you to experience as parents. Thank you for sharing Lori.

I know I am late to “the party,” but I love the idea of being mindful of/noticing and blogging about perfect moments. I know historically I have used my blog more to write about things I am struggling with in my life and though I know that is valid and important for me at times, I appreciate the idea of being intentional about also sharing the simple and very special moments in our lives. Very cool.

I will certainly start paying more attention and intend to start sharing some of my own perfect moments in the near future. Thank you Lori for another wonderful opportunity to focus on what is right in our life, instead of what is wrong.

I know that you have been blogging for awhile now and though I was aware of you/your blog, for whatever reason I didn’t start coming here more regularly until recently. Anyway, I am grateful to have connected with you now and look forward to continuing to get to know you better in the year to come through your book tour, Twitter, your Limerick Chick contest and more Perfect Moments.

Take care,