Perfect Moment Monday: Reunited and it feels so good

April 10, 2011

in Perfect Moment

I woke up on my own schedule Saturday morning. The night before I’d gone to bed on my own schedule. I ate when and what I wanted and was going to the gym when I wanted, without having to arrange to tag-team with my husband about one of us staying home with the kids.

I had 24 glorious hours home alone after I got home from a business trip and before my husband and children got home from our Spring Break at Grandma Marshmallow‘s.

I do love my time alone.

As I pressed and poured my coffee, I heard the news of a midflight rupture in the fuselage of a Southwest Airlines flight only hours before. News microphones were thrust into shell-shocked passengers’ faces. Some had been texting goodbyes to loved ones.

My entire family was about to get on a Southwest Airlines flight to come fill up my home again.

I wondered briefly if I might be punished for enjoying my time alone as much as I do. I sent word to the Universe that I also loved my family and wanted much much much much more time with them.

Finally, in the early evening, I drove up to the Arrivals lane at the airport and gave the biggest hugs imaginable to Tessa, Reed and Roger. The looks in our eyes and the leaping of our hearts as we put our family back together again was especially sweet.

I am grateful for both the void and for the fullness.

====================================

Perfect Moment Monday is about noticing a perfect moment rather than creating one. Perfect moments can be momentous or ordinary or somewhere in between.

Once a week we engage in mindfulness about something that is right with our world. Everyone is welcome to join.

To participate in Perfect Moment Monday:

1. Follow this blog.
  2. Between Sunday night and Tuesday night, write up your own Perfect Moment.
  3. Use LinkyTools below to enter your name (or your site/blog name) and the URL of your Perfect Moment.
  4. Visit the Perfect Moments of others and let the writers know you were there with some comment currency.

Once you make a Perfect Moment post , you may place this button on your blog.What Perfect Moment have you recently been aware of? Visit these moments of others and share your comment love.

RobinJP April 10, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Don’t you love being on your own schedule? When we have on-your-own days or mornings, my focus is usually on food. I get fish, shellfish or bruschetta or some other treat that my significant other usually turns her nose up at.

So glad you enjoyed your time, but sorry you had those scary moments. But, GIRL, you will NEVER be punished for enjoying yourself. We all know how much you appreciate your family too.

Mel April 10, 2011 at 8:35 pm

I’m so glad you all are together again. And sending lots of love.

a April 10, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Wow. That would be frightening! Glad everyone got home safely, and that you got some time to yourself.

Seriously?! April 10, 2011 at 11:09 pm

Wow! That must have been very intense!!! I’m so glad that you are all meant to be, where you’re meant to be. Damn that Universe is great sometimes!!!

Exhaling must have never felt so good!

Jjiraffe April 11, 2011 at 1:01 am

I’m glad everyone landed safely, and that you also had some free time to enjoy…

Andy April 11, 2011 at 3:30 am

Glad everyone is home safe and that you got some great alone time!

Kir April 11, 2011 at 9:01 am

your post made me cry…little tears stinging my eyes, I too love my time alone and then relish coming home to the hugs and hearth that are my home.
Mixed blessings..right?????

Suzy April 11, 2011 at 10:44 am

So glad you had some alone time, but how frightening! I was a nervous wreck one time when my husband and Mom were both flying on the same day.

I know your reunion must have been extra special after that!

Valerie Power April 11, 2011 at 11:04 am

I think alone time is so important for us! But, like you, often feel guilty for enjoying it! I’m glad everyone’s home safely!

Sandy April 11, 2011 at 11:34 am

I love alone time. Yours sounds heavenly.

Airline accidents are always dramatic and terrifying. I have to continuously remind myself that they are statistically so rare.

JJ April 11, 2011 at 2:35 pm

*Loved* talking to you LIVE :) And you are so, so right–I am both appreciative of the void and the fullness. As usual, your usage of words is fabulous.

Sheri April 11, 2011 at 2:57 pm

I cherish my alone time…and also cherish our family time. It’s a cool balance.

I’m so glad everyone is home safe and sound!

Sugar Loco April 11, 2011 at 3:02 pm

I would have had the same thoughts. Why does our alone time have to be coupled with guilt or the thought of punishment? So weird! I need to be done with those thoughts and on to happy thoughts.

So glad you enjoyed your time!

Wishing4One April 11, 2011 at 5:18 pm

SO SO glad your family arrived home safe. The world is so scary these days and it does hit close to home so often. All the best…

Laughing Yoga Mama April 11, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Beautiful story, Lori. It always comes back to balance, doesn’t it. :)

Fiona @banteringblonde April 11, 2011 at 10:40 pm

I do love my alone time but I totally get your slight panic! Glad your family enjoyed the break and got home safe!

Chris Bird April 13, 2011 at 9:33 am

Sweet, sweet reunion. :-)

Quiet Dreams April 14, 2011 at 9:36 am

Very sweet post. As another who loves her alone time, I can relate so well!