Random thanks: an oddball list

November 24, 2011

in Mindfulness

Dear G*d / the Divine / Universe,

Thank you for my blessings, especially the people. The have let me know love.

Thank you things and people I once thought were curses. They have made me grow.

Thank you for the times when things have gone easily for me. Like buttah.

Thank you for the times when you’ve presented brick walls to bang my head against. It hurt, but I am learning to stop banging.

Thank you for my body and increasing health, and the teachers you have sent to help me heal myself.

Thank you for my curiosity. It makes life so interesting!

Thank you for the Internet. Duh.

Thank you for my parents and ancestors, my sisters and their husbands/children, my husband and his ancestors, my children and their ancestors. They are responsible for my living and my joy, as well as great stretching at times.

Thank you disillusionment. Oh wait, Alanis already said all that.

Thank you for my being born in this time and place. I love having hot running water. And Constitutionally-protected freedoms. And access to the entire encyclopedia in the palm of my hand. And P!nk songs.

Thank you for the good food I’m going to eat today, all the people who prepared it, and those who will enjoy it with me.

Thank you for my friends near and far. They make my life so rich.

Thank you for every aircraft mechanic who has worked on a plane that I or my loved ones have flown on.

Thank you for coffee and yoga and wine. They fulfill me in different ways.

Thank you for each person who has read my blog this past year. I am honored and humbled.

Thank you for the continued opportunity to give thanks.

What off-the-beaten-path things are you thankful for this season?

Dannie November 24, 2011 at 9:57 am

Thankful for the simple pleasures of life. My simple abode, my daughter, my family, and meeting someone wonderful recently. I’m thankful for all the internet connections I’ve made this year.

I wish you a happy Thanksgiving. <3 Dannie

iamvulnerable November 24, 2011 at 11:27 am

Beautiful and wise words, as always, Lori. Today, I’m thankful that tummy bugs don’t last forever, I’m thankful that my grandma has access to prompt and high quality medical care after her fall and hip fracture this morning, that my Dad is here to be with her and my grandad. I’m thankful that in the midst of a few days of crisis, I and my family have hot water, washing machines, fresh sheets and towels, technology that connects us and access to transportation. Of course, I’m grateful for much more, but that’s what is most on my mind this morning.

Cheryl November 24, 2011 at 12:35 pm

I am grateful for pork products.

Lavender Luz November 24, 2011 at 10:41 pm

Mmmmmm…….bacon.

I assume you’re not talking about pork rinds?

slowmamma November 24, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Wonderful post. Today I am particularly grateful that, even in the midst of somewhat difficult times, gratitude is a choice.

JW Moxie November 24, 2011 at 1:07 pm

I am thankful for people like you, who is a friend I’ve never touched but who touches my heart each and every day.

I am thankful for my dogs. They’re pretty cool.

I am thankful that I did not have to cook a single item on our Thanksgiving table. I am thankful that my only job today is to eat and then fall into a tryptophan-induced coma.

I am thankful for ice cream and Oreos. Maybe a little *too* thankful.

I am thankful for my family, and for my friends who I consider family.

Happy Thanksgiving, Lori!

RelaxedNoMore November 24, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Hi, here from ICLW :-) Love your list!
I’m thankful that I discovered blogging and for the support this great community of awesome women gives.
I’m thankful for my wonderful husband, who does the dishes and the ironing because he knows I hate doing household chores.
Happy Thanksgiving to you!

Baby Smiling In Back Seat November 24, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Thank you friends who are enthusiastic, warm, helpful, and, perhaps, neighborly.

Happy Thanksgiving!

a November 24, 2011 at 6:36 pm

I’m thankful for inspirational people like you who remind me that the evils I encounter daily are not the sum total of human existence.

Also, Ghirardelli’s 60% cocoa chocolate chips. They make life worth living.

Esperanza November 24, 2011 at 9:29 pm

I’m thankful for indoor plumbing. I’m thankful for my iPhone, which elegantly connects me to my amazing blogging community. I’m thankful for digital cameras, that allow me to capture so many amazing moments with my daughter. Finally, I’m thankful for take-out because sometimes we just don’t have the time or energy to cook and clean up.

Thanks for this fun activity!

Michelle November 25, 2011 at 3:28 am

Well, I would be grateful for my cat, Daisy, but she just walked across the keyboard and deleted everything that I had just written, so I’ll try again…

I’m thankful for everything I’m learning this year, even though sometimes it’s hard. I’m thankful for the opportunity to follow my goal of becoming a mother, however it happens.

I’m thankful for the opportunity to do IVF, even thought it’s a challenge.

I’m so thankful for my job, so I can afford IVF.

I’m thankful for my fab new car, even though I only bought it 3 days ago and already I have put a scratch in it, left the lights on so the battery went flat and and am terrified to drive it, cos it’s sooo much nicer than my old bomb. I’m also grateful I happened to park right next to a mechanic’s today, so he could jump start my car after the battery went flat.

And to my friend today, who cam with me to see the Ides of March, mainly so we could both gawk at George and Ryan.

And thanks for this post, for reminding us that it’s good to be thankful for all we’ve got. (I know it’s Thanksgiving there, but we don’t do that here in Oz, so it’s a good reminder.)

Kim Shand November 25, 2011 at 1:13 pm

This is a terrific list, Lori! I resonate with each and every item, and I’m thankful for the reminder of overlooked blessings.

St. Elsewhere November 26, 2011 at 7:01 am

LOL….was reading the list and was like, wait, she is copying Alanis here….

So many things to be grateful about.

Sarah November 27, 2011 at 6:35 am

Pedicures,!! Because I come out of there feeling relaxed and ready to take on the world again!!

Happy ICLW

Mel November 27, 2011 at 6:16 pm

Okay, cracked up at the Alanis line (and yes, that was the part I had to add to my Stumble review). I, for one, am thankful for you. Hope it was a wonderful Thanksgiving.