Perfect Moment Monday: It’s fun to play at the YMCA

by Lori Lavender Luz on March 25, 2012

in Perfect Moment

Sometimes a perfect moment is a breezy, gradual unfoldment that lands on my shoulder like a butterfly.

And sometimes a perfect moment is a whoosh of bliss, gushing through my entire being, shot directly from the Universe.

This month I got to combine some favorites in many categories: activity, music and people.

The activity was Nia, a a fusion of three each of the dance arts (jazz, modern, Duncan), the healing arts (yoga, Feldenkrais, Alexander) and the martial arts (tae kwan do, tai chi, aikido). I love this graceful, expansive dance class because it’s less about doing it “right” than about simply the joy of movement.

The person was Ethel, the gentle and wise mystic whom I have known for 20 years. Her presence has transformed my life in all the important ways — I have found romance, I have reclaimed my health, I became a mother (twice) I live more mindfully than I used to. I am taking a year-long class with Ethel, and we decided, this March evening, to check in with each other at the YMCA over tea and Nia.

The music was by Loreena McKennitt. Nia classes are known for their world music, and Celtic-influenced The Mummer’s Dance came on late in the session, right before cool-down. We were spinning and lilting to this ethereal tune, expanding our arms as we opened our hearts. It wasn’t meant to be a trance-dance, but all of a sudden the blast of bliss hit me. Every cell in my body was dancing for joy, full of gratitude for having this body, this life, these connections, these senses, this moment.

With my arms and eyes raised to the heavens (or ceiling panels) I sobbed joyously. The light was dim enough and the music was loud enough, though, that no one noticed. I was both fully experiencing my bliss also observing myself experiencing bliss.

I wish I could choreograph these moments on command. But stumbling on them will do, for now.

Image: Freepik.com

====================================

Perfect Moment Monday is about noticing a perfect moment rather than creating one. Perfect moments can be momentous or ordinary or somewhere in between.

On the 4th Monday of each month we engage in mindfulness about something that is right with our world. Everyone is welcome to join. The next Perfect Moment Monday event will be on April 23.

To participate in Perfect Moment Monday:

1. Follow Write Mind Open Heart.
  2. Between the Sunday night before and the Sunday night after, write up your own Perfect Moment.
  3. Use LinkyTools below to enter your name (or your site/blog name) and the URL of your Perfect Moment.
  4. Visit the Perfect Moments of others and let the writers know you were there with some comment currency.

Once you make a Perfect Moment post , you may place this button on your blog.Perfect Moment MondayWhat Perfect Moment have you recently been aware of? Visit these moments of others and share your comment love.

St. Elsewhere March 26, 2012 at 1:08 am

I have to admit…I had no clue what Nia was…very intriguing…

Glad for Ethel’s presence in your life.

Mel March 26, 2012 at 5:45 am

That is the very definition of a “good cry.” It sounds like an amazing class as well as an amazing woman.

Delenn March 26, 2012 at 8:13 am

This is one of my favorite songs and I agree it can be so trans-formative. Nia sounds like something I would love.

hollow tree ventures March 26, 2012 at 10:41 am

That sounds so liberating! It’s been a long while since I’ve taken a class like that – you helped me remember how much I missed it – I’m going to treat myself. Thanks!

Kathy March 26, 2012 at 11:36 am

How have I never heard of Nia? That sounds wonderful! I will have to look into if there are any classes offered around here. Also, glad you had some quality time with Ethel and such a healthy release of your emotions. Definitely lots of perfect moments. Thank you for sharing.

Suzy March 26, 2012 at 1:22 pm

I have never heard of nia before. It sounds like an amazing experience.

I love this “I was both fully experiencing my bliss also observing myself experiencing bliss.” Such perfect moment indeed.

lostintranslation March 26, 2012 at 2:49 pm

I don’t think Nia has made it across the Atlantic yet (or at least not to France, which is not surprising, give it another 10 years…).

I love how you describe it as a “blast of bliss” – perfect moment indeed!

a March 26, 2012 at 3:53 pm

That sounds like lots of fun! I wish I were uninhibited enough to participate in these sorts of things…

shannon March 26, 2012 at 7:37 pm

I love “The Mummer’s Dance”! I’ve never heard of Nia either.

Quiet Dreams March 26, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Sounds amazing.

Kir March 27, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Oh my goodness, I need a class or evening or just a dance like that. I laugh a lot but I don’t DANCE and move like I should. That was amazing.

jjiraffe March 27, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Great Perfect Moment. Dancing: clearly the path to a Perfect Moment this week :)

Ethel sounds amazing. I’m so glad you have her in your life.

Krystle March 27, 2012 at 7:05 pm

I have never heard of Nia before. Sounds very relaxing. I need to try dancing more but I am too self conscious for it.

Justine April 3, 2012 at 7:15 pm

I haven’t heard of Nia … it sounds like something I would love. :) I had a friend who used to “dance with wild abandon” in her living room … her joyful energy always made me smile. Thank you for sharing this, and making me think of her!

Ratna April 4, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Lovely- you have the best experiences… and the best attitude too! Seriously, when I am working from home one day I need to join you in these things. Your experiences fill me with joy!

JennyFord June 18, 2012 at 6:27 am

Sounds like some pretty fun and wonderful moments!