Perfect Moment Monday: Core issue

by Lori Lavender Luz on April 22, 2012

in Perfect Moment

Core!

That’s what my yoga teacher focuses on in class Tuesdays and Thursdays. She’s come up with all sorts of core-building poses and movements to torture us strengthen the structures of our torsos. I rarely seek out additional opportunities to work my core.

But one came up this month. One night, Tessa, Reed and I met on a bed to read a story at bedtime. We never cracked the book — instead, these two monkeys turned bedtime into a showcase for how well they could do sit-ups laying back over the side of the bed. They are strong, my robust children. They could out-sit-up almost everyone I know in real life (who all tend to be over the age of 30).

They challenged me to do sit-ups as they did. I scooted my bottom to the edge of the bed and each kid sat on one of my legs. I started from a backbend position, hanging vertically down  the side of the bed, and lifted myself to a vertically upright position. By the time I lowered down again, for no reason at all except enjoyment of being together, we broke into uncontrollable giggles.

Offering mercy to my abs, I scooched back onto the bed to lie down and put my arms around my children — one in the crook of each arm — my growing, miraculous, fun, unique children, and hugged them tightly, awash in gratitude and love.

Take about core!

====================================

Perfect Moment Monday is about noticing a perfect moment rather than creating one. Perfect moments can be momentous or ordinary or somewhere in between.

On the 4th Monday of each month we engage in mindfulness about something that is right with our world. Everyone is welcome to join. The next Perfect Moment Monday event will be on May 28.

To participate in Perfect Moment Monday:

1. Follow Write Mind Open Heart.
  2. Between the Sunday night before and the Sunday night after, write up your own Perfect Moment.
  3. Use LinkyTools below to enter your name (or blog name) and the URL of your Perfect Moment.
  4. Visit the Perfect Moments of others and let the writers know you were there with some comment currency.

Once you make a Perfect Moment post , you may place this button on your blog.Perfect Moment MondayWhat Perfect Moment have you recently been aware of? Visit these moments of others and share your comment love.

Justine April 22, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Love this. :) Indeed … the real “core.”

lostintranslation April 23, 2012 at 2:58 am

Excellent! I think our Perfect Moments are a bit similar this month, although mine didn’t include any sit-ups thankfully (and those are forbidden anyway by my physical therapist were I do my post-partum “rééducation du périnée et abdominale” – instead I get exercises to try to lengthen my abs and not crunch them)!

Lori April 23, 2012 at 5:50 am

Aw, I could hear the giggles through your words. A family’s laughter, there’s just nothing like it.

Mel April 23, 2012 at 6:43 am

You need to hire them out to teach their own strength training class :-) I have core this morning, and I’ll be thinking about this post through the whole thing.

a April 23, 2012 at 2:55 pm

It’s good to have a strong core!

Suzy April 23, 2012 at 7:29 pm

You are really hard core! :)

I love that you had such a simple but perfect moment with your kids, as well as a lot of laughs too.

Kathy April 23, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Awesome Lori!

I love this simple and yet powerful perfect moment that you shared with your children. There are definitely lots of different ways to get a core workout and I appreciate this one as much as any.

As an aside, I do hope that we get to take some kind of exercise class together someday, as I think we’d have so much fun together!

Thanks for hosting PMM again this month! In the wonderful craziness of my life, I look forward to having this constant on the 4th Monday to get me focused on “what is right” as you say. I know I didn’t have to get this one “in” tonight, but the OCD me in really likes to get share my post and link up on Mondays. ;)

I am going to bed now, but will return tomorrow to click through, read and comment on the other links. Sweet dreams!

Emily @ablanket2keep April 24, 2012 at 7:26 am

Hi! I didn’t notice there was a monthly thing for Prefect Moment Monday. I will definitely be joining in from now on! Thank you so much for adding me!

Your moment made me smile big time. I can’t wait to read everyone’s!

Judy April 24, 2012 at 12:10 pm

The “core” really is at the heart of every challenge in life, be it physical, mental or spiritual. I rely on mine. :)

Jjiraffe April 26, 2012 at 12:01 am

Kids tend to provide the toughest workouts, don’t they ;)

Lovely post.

jenny - Sugar Loco May 10, 2012 at 7:13 am

where does all that energy come from? if only we could bottle it….we’d all have amazing cores!!!