BlogHer approached me about contributing to its Absolute Beginner series, and I gave my best advice to these common issues people early on the path of adoption:
- How to get through various stages of “The Wait.”
- How to get ready for your new child.
- When to tell people.
- What you need to know about PADS, post-adoption depression syndrome.
- When and how to tell your child about her adoption.
- What to do when you fear you are an imposter.
So click over to get the Crib Sheet with my responses. And see what one adoptive mom, Katie of From IF to When, has to say about applying the advice. She offers some excellent additional insights, and I especially appreciate how she likens infertility treatments to a series of sprints and the adoption process to a marathon.
What do you wish you’d known in the early days of your adoption? What advice would you give to someone just starting out on the adoption road?
What’s better than a good book? Discussing that book with friends. Sign up today for the upcoming virtual book tour, The Sound of Hope.