If you are a regular reader of LavenderLuz.com, you know that the belief that adoptive parenting is no different from regular old parenting will end up with you feeling blindsided some day, without tools and without strategies.
This is because all adoptions are a result of some sort of rupture or disconnection, and even if necessary, leave a wound that needs acknowledgement and care. The attunement and tending abilities of the parent can make a huge difference for the adoptee in forming new connections, including within him or herself.
With me this month on Adoption: The Long View is my friend and Therapeutic Parent Adi Tilford, a fellow Coloradoan.
About Adi Tilford
Adi TIlford is an adoptive mom and long-time educator advocating for therapeutic, trauma-informed living. Adi’s writing and speaking engagements illuminate the power of therapeutic love, the ongoing journey of healing from complex developmental trauma, and the in-the-trenches experiences of becoming a therapeutic parent, educator, and friend. Most of the year, Adi plays in the desert of Colorado where the cactus bloom and coyotes caper in the front yard. She is making her home the place she loves to be with her husband Sam and their two incredible daughters.
Show Notes: Ep 405 with Adi Tilford, Therapeutic Parent
- 8000 Promises Newsletter & Bryan Post Partnership Freebie “Increase Love, Invite Healing”
- 8000 Promises Podcast
- 8000 Promises Blog
- Seek!: Sermon for First Presbyterian Church, Grand Junction, CO, includes attachment concepts of safe haven and secure base
- How to Be A Therapeutic Parent and Make Your Home a Therapeutic Home, guest post on LavenderLuz.com
- The Connected Child by Karyn Purvis, PhD and David Cross, PhD
- Dr Laura Markham on regulation
- Bryan Post of the Post Institute
- Rebecca Vahle of the Family to Family Support Network
- Robyn Gobbel on parenting amid big, baffling behaviors
- Dr Bruce Perry on a neurodevelopmental approach
- The Adoption Connection
- Heather Forbes of Beyond Consequences Institute
- Ep 403 of Adoption: The Long View: Two men find out as adults they were adopted
How to Tune In Regularly
You can find us on Adopting.com, and on these and other platforms.
- Apple Podcasts
- Amazon Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Search for “Adoption Long View” on your preferred podcast platform.
A new episode comes out the first Friday of the month. Thank you for sharing, subscribing, and rating this episode!
Lori Holden, mom of a young adult daughter and a young adult son, writes from Denver. She was honored as an Angel in Adoption® by the Congressional Coalition on Adoption Institute.
Her first book, The Open-Hearted Way to Open Adoption: Helping Your Child Grow Up Whole, makes a thoughtful anytime gift for the adoptive families in your life. Her second book, Standing Room Only: How to Be THAT Yoga Teacher is now available in paperback, and her third book, Adoption Unfiltered, will be published in late 2023.
Find Lori’s books on her Amazon Author page and catch episodes of Adoption: The Long View wherever you get your podcasts.