Episode 410: Best Advice for Adoptive Parents
I really, really love this episode.
As 2023 comes to a close, so does the 4th season of Adoption: The Long View. This season we heard from 6 adoptees, 2 birth parents, 4 adoptive parents, and 5 professionals in the field, like attachment therapists, a social worker, a psychologist, and agency professionals. I’m honored that each of these guests came to share their personal and expert experiences to help us all get a better understanding of adoption’s long view.
As you may already know, the last episode of each season is a bite-sized recap from each guest, and altogether it forms the Best Advice of the season. For Season 4, the question that ended each interview was this: How can we best support adoptees in building healthy identities and connections right from the start – or at least from today?
Bonus! Audio Excerpts from the book Adoption Unfiltered
After you hear what each guest has to say, stay tuned for excerpts from the new groundbreaking book Adoption Unfiltered, narrated by Sara Easterly (and adoptee), Kelsey Vander Vliet Ranyard (a birth parent), and me (an adoptive parent).
So now I offer you the brilliance of our Season 4 guests, distilled into this season’s best advice. What you’ll hear in the next half hour or so are brief clips from the end of each episode – guests giving you their very best advice for taking the long view of adoption — plus brief excerpts from Adoption Unfiltered, narrated by the authors. We have a transcript available so you can easily find any episode you’d like to refer back to and dive in for more of any guest.
So it’s a wrap for Season 4! We will take a short break and see you soon for more captivating guests in Season 5. To support our efforts in bringing you high-quality guests and episodes, it really helps us out when you share this episode with others, and when you give it a heart or a rating on your podcast platform – thanks to those of you who already have, and thanks to those of you who are about to. Make sure to subscribe wherever you listen so you know when new monthly episodes are available.
Show Notes from Ep410’s Advice for Adoptive Parents
Click on the name to go to the guests’ own site. Click on the episode number for that guest’s full interview.
You may also wish to search all episodes in all seasons by role, such as episodes featuring birth parents or a male perspective or therapists as guests. You can do that, too.
- Rebecca Ricardo, adoptee, birth parent, and adoption social worker on adoption from all sides. Ep401.
- Dawn Davenport, adoption community leader, on why adoptive parents must be continual learners. Ep402.
- Brad Ewell and Fred Nicora: two late discovery adoptees on why adoptees’ truth matters more than adoptive parents’ comfort. Ep 403.
- Dr Brad Reedy, therapist, on adoptive parents setting boundaries and understanding guilt and shame. Ep404.
- Adi Tilford, adoptive parent, on becoming a therapeutic parent and creating a therapeutic home. Ep405.
- Dr Chaitra Wirta-Leiker, adoptee, adoptive parent, and psychologist, on how to talk about race with children. Ep406.
- Greg Gentry, adoptee, sharing 5 things his parents did well and 6 things they didn’t. Ep407.
- Maureen McCauley, seasoned adoptive parent, on the dance we do with the adoptees we parent. Ep408.
- Sara Easterly and Kelsey Vander Vliet Ranyard, co-authors of Adoption Unfiltered. Ep409.
- Transcript for Ep410.
Quotes from Season 4
How to Tune In Regularly
You can find us on Adopting.com, and on these and other platforms.
- Apple Podcasts
- Amazon Podcasts
- Search for “Adoption Long View” on your preferred podcast platform.
A new episode comes out the first Friday of the month. Thank you for sharing, subscribing, and rating this episode!
Lori Holden, mom of a young adult daughter and a young adult son, writes from Denver. She was honored as an Angel in Adoption® by the Congressional Coalition on Adoption Institute.
Her first book, The Open-Hearted Way to Open Adoption: Helping Your Child Grow Up Whole, makes a thoughtful anytime gift for the adoptive families in your life. Her second book, Standing Room Only: How to Be THAT Yoga Teacher is now available in paperback, and her third book, Adoption Unfiltered, is now available through your favorite bookseller!
Find Lori’s books on her Amazon Author page and catch episodes of Adoption: The Long View wherever you get your podcasts.