Why does a woman named Lori call herself Lavender Luz?
Lori Holden is my name, but I selected Lori Lavender Luz as my blog persona. It’s my Appalachian Trail name, even though I have never traveled the Appalachian Trail.
- Lavender because I love all shades purple
- Luz (“looz”) meaning light-bearer in language I’d like to become fluent in
- I love all those Ls
What is this site about?
I write from Denver, and I’m passionate about de-freakifying open adoption and ending discrimination against adoptees. I notice perfect moments and encourage you to do so, as well. I like 1970s trivia and limericks. I am a New Age Libertarian.
My book, The Open-Hearted Way to Open Adoption: Helping Your Child Grow Up Whole — written with my daughter’s birth mom — was recently published by Rowman & Littlefield.
Also? Yoga, yin and yang, words and wine, Reed and Tessa, and the seeking the Tao in all.
Cast of Characters
- Me. Wonderer, wife, mom, writer.
- Husband Roger. Curious, amusing and amused, Renaissance-ish.
- Daughter Tessa. Spirited, dramatic, vivacious, 12.
- Son Reed. Warrior, sweet, athletic, 10.
- Crystal is Tessa’s birth mom and Joe is her birth dad.
- Michele is Reed’s birth mom and AJ is his birth dad.
Your life in 150 words or less?
I’ve journaled faithfully since I was 17, and I can now look back and see interesting patterns and divine guidance. The major transitions in my life tended to come with a twist.
- In the 1990s, there were twists in the way I met and married Roger (involving comedy improv and a ride in the Weinermobile)
- In 2001, there were twists in the way I became mom to Tessa (involving a dying man’s vision and a batch of cookie dough during labor)
- In 2003 there were twists in how I became mom to Reed (involving a battle and a blizzard).
The twists are all good. They make me realize that I have always been on the best path possible, even though there were moments that I was sure that wasn’t the case.
How’d you get your blog to look so cool?
- The header design was created by Keiko of The Infertility Voice. It represents my favorite color and the wave of balance depicted in the Tao.
- Melissa is my dear friend and writing mentor . My life took an interesting pivot the day I landed on her blog through a google search. She is, in many ways, responsible for the tone and look of this space.