Hello and Welcome
LavenderLuz is my blog where I share my thoughts on open adoption, parenting, yoga, living mindfully, thinking critically, and whatever else I’m on fire about to share with you.
⇓⇓ (Continue below Search Box .) ⇓⇓
Searching for something?
Try a quick and easy custom search.
Or try emailing me. I’m happy to help you find what you’re looking for.
I write from Denver, and I’m passionate about de-freakifying open adoption and ending discrimination against adoptees. I’m in the trenches figuring out this parenting thing. I notice perfect moments and encourage you to do so, as well. I am a New Age Libertarian. I study the chakras, practice yoga and ayurveda, and tell stories.
My book, The Open-Hearted Way to Open Adoption: Helping Your Child Grow Up Whole — written with my daughter’s birth mom — was published in 2013 by Rowman & Littlefield and garners rave reviews. The audio version was released mid-2016.
If your name is Lori Holden, why do you call yourself Lavender Luz?
Lori Holden is my name, but I selected Lori Lavender Luz as my blog persona. It’s my Appalachian Trail name (even though I have never traveled the Appalachian Trail).
- Lavender because I love all shades purple.
- Luz (“looz”) meaning light-bearer in language I’d like to become fluent in (Spanish).
- I love all those Ls.
Cast of Characters
- Me. Wonderer, wife, mom, writer.
- Husband Roger. Curious, amusing and amused, Renaissance-ish.
- Daughter Tessa. Spirited, dramatic, vivacious, young teen.
- Son Reed. Warrior, sweet, athletic, young teen.
My life in 150 words
I’ve journaled faithfully since I was 17, and I can now look back and see interesting patterns and divine guidance. The major transitions in my life tended to come with a twist.
- In the 1990s, there were twists in the way I met and married Roger (involving comedy improv and a ride in the Weinermobile).
- In 2001, there were twists in the way I became mom to Tessa.
- In 2003 there were twists in how I became mom to Reed.
The twists are all good. They make me realize that I have always been on the best path possible, even though there were moments that I was sure that wasn’t the case.