Show & Tell: Threescore and ten

by Lori Lavender Luz on December 24, 2009

in Show & Tell

I took the kids to the Denver Museum of Nature and Science last week to experience Exhibition Health. It’s a fabulous display, enthralling for both kids (school-age) and adults alike. I found out cool things like the fact that my stride length is 3 feet 2 inches and my wingspan is 5 feet 10.5 inches (which matches my somewhat generously measured height).

There were dozens of fascinating stops, but I’ll share just a few.

To learn about the respiratory system, kids got to watch a dissection of the lungs of a sheep. I was afraid my children would be squeamish, but instead they were right in there, asking tons of questions and poking around.

There were long lines for the pièce de résistance, a photo booth that ages you up to 70 years. You can choose to also see a projection of your aging with one of three factors: smoking, sun damage, or the effects of obesity. The idea is that kids may not forsake smoking for health reasons, but they might for vanity reasons.

Here’s me:
Yikes! Aging sucks, except for the alternative.

Would you like to see Tessa and Reed in another 6+ decades? These are the BIG shockers for me.

^^images removed^^

P.S. We were told not to smile. Now, get off our lawn, you young whippersnappers!

See the cool stuff my classmates are showing and telling over at Mel’s Show & Tell.

The Casual Perfectionist April 7, 2010 at 5:55 am

I can hear your kids now. “Well, in MY day, we had to choose a digital song by pushing a button! We couldn’t just THINK about what we wanted to hear! AND! Our TVs had to PLUG INTO THE WALL!” ;)

Lynn April 7, 2010 at 5:55 am

I love the aging thing! There was something similar at the Disney thing we attended a couple of months ago for the new A Christmas Carol movie. You got to be turned into Ebenezer Scrooge, Marley, Tiny Tim or Belle. It was very neat!

Glad you and your kiddos had a great time :D

Quiet Dreams April 7, 2010 at 5:55 am

Sounds like a lot of fun. Maybe when you’re 70 you can compare yourself to the photo and see how it worked out. :)

Jamie April 7, 2010 at 5:55 am

How cool! And sort of scary but still cool.

Yup – if you can’t get them through health reasons try vanity. Works every time.

manapan April 7, 2010 at 5:55 am

COOOOOOL!! I like the aging thing, but I love the dissection station. It reminds me of high school biology class, when the teacher used his mouth to inflate the sheep lungs we were preparing to dissect. Ahh, good times. :)

nh April 7, 2010 at 5:55 am

Sounds like fun, and the ageing thing looks amazing.

As a science teacher one of the experiences that my classes learn most from seeing the dissection of hearts and lungs!

pandabox33 April 7, 2010 at 5:55 am

That is just weird ! Brrrr
I would love to see the exhibit. But brrrr, weird. LOL
Happy ICLW and Joyeux Noël

Alana April 7, 2010 at 5:55 am

Really neat…though the not smiling is kind of ageism. I mean my mom is nearly 70 and she smiles all the dang time! :)

And super cool that the kiddos were intrigued by the sheep dissection.

Baby Smiling In Back Seat April 7, 2010 at 5:55 am

Vanity works. I’ve also had temporary success convincing my teenage SIL to wear sunscreen by telling her about Botox. Needle in the face + botulism to paralyze you!

Kristin April 7, 2010 at 5:55 am

My older two kids would have loved that museum and exhibition. Very, very cool.

areyoukiddingme April 7, 2010 at 5:55 am

That’s pretty cool, but why do you have to be so grim? Like old people don’t smile, or something.

Lollipop Goldstein April 7, 2010 at 5:55 am

Wiping up the vomit from the sheep’s lung…

I don’t know why, but those pictures made me really sad. I got all melancholy thinking of all of us at 70.

WiseGuy April 7, 2010 at 5:55 am

Well, it must be so scary to see those photos…

Of course, I will continue to look like 28 even at 70, so I do not have to worry at all.

You better take care though…ha ha ha!

Denise April 7, 2010 at 5:55 am