Wordless Wednesday: Dunes

April 11, 2012

in Tessa, Travel, Wordless Wednesday

Tessa hiked to one of the highest dunes at Great Sand Dunes National Park on a warm but windy Spring Break trip.

Great Sand Dunes National Park

Great Sand Dunes National Park

Tessa was not doing the “Mom’s-taking-a-blog-photo” pose (Daddy actually took the pictures) — she was just keeping the sand out of her face.

a April 11, 2012 at 7:07 am

That looks…ugh. I hate sand! I feel chafed just thinking about it! But apparently, someone in your household likes it. Hope you had a great time and still have your top layer of epidermis…

Margo April 11, 2012 at 9:12 am

I love this place! I’ve been there twice and had amazing experiences both times. Didn’t quite make it to the top of the 750-foot climb – it gets tough with 35mph winds whipping sand in your face and threatening to blow you off the edge and down a near-vertical wall of sand. The camping was really nice, too. I can’t wait to take our yet-to-be-found-child there!

Chelsea April 11, 2012 at 10:57 am

Cool! I’ve never been — looks like fun.

Chris Bird April 11, 2012 at 4:37 pm

LOL. I would’ve totally thought she was camera-shy had you not said differently. Mine is. :-)

Love these photos. Looks like such a cool place. Going to have to look it up!

Tiffany April 11, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Such cool photos! And what a hike!

Ratna April 11, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Love the sand dunes but yeah when it is windy and/or hot — ouch!

Sarah April 11, 2012 at 10:53 pm

That looks like so much fun, we have never been! Can you believe it? I am just aching to go though!

rajean April 12, 2012 at 12:18 am

My cousin and his family just went there too. They tried to sled with a saucer but said they heard it really only works after a rain. On our list, but not in the heat or the wind. Ha. That might be too tall an order. Wonderful photos!

Rhonda "Roo" April 13, 2012 at 8:21 am

My Mom’s family is from the San Luis Valley so I’ve been to the dunes several times. It is fun. Climbing them is quite a challenge! Congratulations to Tessa!!!!

Mel April 13, 2012 at 11:47 am

The dunes look beautiful, but I imagine they are a bigger workout than normal hiking on solid ground.

geochick April 19, 2012 at 12:22 pm

I love the Great Sand Dunes! They always seem to be windy though. Great pix.