Perfect Moment Monday: Nia grrlz

December 5, 2010

in Family, Perfect Moment

I was a slug for most of my life. It’s only in the last 5 years that I’ve begun moving my body, practicing yoga, going to the gym, trying new activities. What kept me from doing more? Besides general laziness, I suffered from a horrible case of self-consciousness from a very young age.

One of the best things about being my my 40s is that I care less what other people think. For one thing, I am no longer so self- absorbed to think that all eyes at the gym are on ME. For another, I gradually haveĀ  begun to value my own opinions over those of others, especially strangers.

This has opened up new worlds for me. Since this time last year, I’ve taken up Turbo-Kickboxing, Zumba, HipHop dancing and my latest find, Nia.

Nia stands for both Non-Impact Aerobics and Neuromuscular-Integrative Action. I enjoy it because it’s expansive and flowing and it’s done to world music. It’s a fusion of thee each of the dance arts (jazz, modern, Duncan), the healing arts (Yoga, Feldenkrais and Alexander movement techniques) and the martial arts (Tae Kwan Do, Tai Chi, and Aikido).

Here’s a video of a studio in NYC, in case you’d like to see Nia in action.

Most appealing for me is that Nia is much less about doing it right than about simply moving your body joyously. I do feel happy in my body after taking a class.

Which I now do weekly.

Last week I got something even better than a Nia class. I got a Nia class with sisters! Both Sheri and Tami Nia-ed with me. I was euphoric to see in the mirror my two athletic sisters and me with them, three graces.

Perfect moment in triplicate.

====================================

Perfect Moment Monday is about noticing a perfect moment rather than creating one. Perfect moments can be momentous or ordinary or somewhere in between.

Once a week we engage in mindfulness about something that is right with our world. Everyone is welcome to join.

To participate in Perfect Moment Monday:

1. Follow this blog.
  2. Between Sunday night and Tuesday night, write up your own Perfect Moment somewhere on the web: in a blog post, on Twitter, on Facebook, or simply leave a comment below (if you do the latter, skip #3).
  3. Use LinkyTools below to enter your name (or your blog’s name) and the URL of your Perfect Moment.
  4. Visit the Perfect Moments of others and let the writers know you were there.

Once you make a Perfect Moment post , you may place this button on your blog.What Perfect Moment have you recently been aware of? Visit these moments of others and share your comment love.

Kristin December 5, 2010 at 8:12 pm

You know what one of my prefect moments is…reading your perfect moments every week.

Lavender Luz December 6, 2010 at 3:34 pm
Tami December 5, 2010 at 10:44 pm

Nia was a perfect moment for many! I enjoyed the flow and freedom. Being with my sisters wasn’t bad, either. ;)

Lavender Luz December 6, 2010 at 3:34 pm

Three is a magic number, dontcha know.

Pam December 6, 2010 at 8:03 am

I’ve never heard of Nia but would love to check it out. Last year I excercised every day. This year I am back to being a couch potato. I admit that I hate hate hate it! My fibromyalgia hated hated hated my exercising and I pain for it with a 5 month long flare up where I was mostly bedridden. So, finding a balance is key for me. Well, actually, right now the key for me is getting up off the couch.

Love taking part in PMM each week. Now I”m off to read the other entries. I just posted mine.

Happy day!

Pam

Lavender Luz December 6, 2010 at 3:35 pm

It took me a loooong time to find an activity that I would get off the couch for. I hope yours comes to you soon, and that it brings you balance and fibro relief. So glad you’re participating in PMMs!

Kir December 6, 2010 at 9:15 am

that’s awesome….it sounds and looks amazing. I too, have Fibro ..so a little goes a long way for my excerise routine…

as always, your perfect moments..are indeed. :)
xo

Lavender Luz December 6, 2010 at 3:41 pm

Thanks, Kir! :-)

Sheri December 6, 2010 at 9:51 am

I absolutely LOVED our time together over Thanksgiving…in Nia, and in yoga (three times), and eating lots of holiday food, and looking at the lights, enjoying coffee and breakfast together, hanging out with the kids at the APEX Center, and did I mention eating a lot?

Every time I am in Denver with my family, it is a series of Perfect Moments!

P.S. I missed Nia-ing (and all of our other activities) with you this weekend, but reading about it was a Perfect Moment (re-lived).

Lavender Luz December 6, 2010 at 3:41 pm

We sure packed a lot of perfect moments in a short period of time! But then again, that’s always been one of our super powers.

Megan (Best of Fates) December 6, 2010 at 10:20 am

Before I started going to the gym in college I had thought everyone was watching me too – then you realize, no, absolutely nobody is paying any attention. And I’ve never heard of those exercises, they sound awesome!

Mel December 6, 2010 at 11:09 am

I always hear of these new things first from you, and then I’ll start noticing other people talking about them, etc. This is my first time hearing about Nia. Deeply interested, though I seem to only be able to exercise at home. Though having met 2 of 3 sisters, I could definitely visualize the three graces.

liz December 6, 2010 at 11:10 am

I’ve never heard of Nia, but all you big city girls get all the cool stuff!

Steph December 6, 2010 at 11:15 am

How fun! I have never done Nia, but it was pretty popular when I lived in Boulder (of course!). I have also recently started to move again. I have been taking a Kettlebell class and it feels great (most of the time!) to move. But, you’ve inspired me to keep it up.

Lavender Luz December 6, 2010 at 6:02 pm

I didn’t know you had Boulder roots. And I also didn’t know they had kettlebell classes. Cool!

JJ December 6, 2010 at 11:27 am

You know, I have YET to do a full session of yoga—thats sad! Can I come take a class with you? Wine after? :)

Lavender Luz December 6, 2010 at 6:08 pm

Yeppers! And yeppers again!!

Cheryl December 6, 2010 at 12:17 pm

I’m SO glad you’ve found out about Nia! I started taking it over the summer and had a blast – even went to a few “Nia Jams”! I like the structure AND the freedom it includes. What’s next?

Lavender Luz December 6, 2010 at 6:09 pm

Ooooh, Nia Jam sounds awesome. We’ll need to do that during our next Girls Weekend. And when will that be?

a December 6, 2010 at 1:32 pm

How fun to do that with your sisters! I, however, will never get over my self-consciousness…

Luv my 4 Rapscallions December 6, 2010 at 10:43 pm

Hi Nia pal! I love that class … And really love Nia with friends.
The three graces by Botticelli are even more beautiful in person. My perfect moment was in Florence with my mom this thanksgiving … In front of the original…Primavera… At the Uffizi Gallery.. On what will be my mom’s last trip. Grace is having had the privilidge of being my mom’s daughter. My mom is truly one of God’s finest creations…. A Masterpiece.

Lavender Luz December 7, 2010 at 2:06 pm

I am so glad we do Nia together. And that you got to go to Florence with your wonderful mom. I know you are hurting now, but still you find the grace and beauty.

I’ve got a big ole hug for the next time I see you. And maybe a glass of Cabernet.

XO, my friend.

WiseGuy December 7, 2010 at 3:48 am

Holla! Now I know that it is okay to get out of my lazyself when I am 40. Thank God.

:-)

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential December 8, 2010 at 8:34 am

Nia sounds great and I love, love, love the image of you Rocking it out with your two sisters.
Happy Belated Birthday my friend!! Hot Stuff, mwah, hope it was as Fabulous as you are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

life in a pink fibro December 11, 2010 at 5:17 pm

I’m grateful too for that lack of self-consciousness that comes with being 40. Wish I’d got onto it a whole lot sooner!

Sandy April 11, 2011 at 10:59 am

Hi! I made a Perfect Moment Monday post, but your linky list is closed. Am I doing something wrong? :)

Sandy April 11, 2011 at 11:25 am

Doh! Please ignore. I just realized I linked to the wrong post.