Perfect Moment Monday: The Promised Land

by Lori Lavender Luz on April 17, 2011

in Perfect Moment,Reed,Tessa

Tessa and Reed each took up something new this Spring. Which means that Roger and I did, too.

Reed, born into the Red Sox Nation (his dad’s bloodline), is now spending two hours a week developing his skills to possibly be a  contributing member of that nation someday (or just to have fun).

And Tessa spends two hours a week cheering and dancing.

Which means that Roger and I spend several hours a week in the Spring air on camp chairs, talking with each other about how amazingly well (and fast) our kids are growing up.

These are the quintessential parenting moments I had in mind those 40 years (give or take 35) we wandered the fertility desert.

I have arrived at my own vision of the Promised Land. Only it’s so much better than I could ever have conceived.

====================================

Perfect Moment Monday is about noticing a perfect moment rather than creating one. Perfect moments can be momentous or ordinary or somewhere in between.

Once a week we engage in mindfulness about something that is right with our world. Everyone is welcome to join.

To participate in Perfect Moment Monday:

1. Follow this blog.
  2. Between Sunday night and Tuesday night, write up your own Perfect Moment.
  3. Use LinkyTools below to enter your name (or your site/blog name) and the URL of your Perfect Moment.
  4. Visit the Perfect Moments of others and let the writers know you were there with some comment currency.

Once you make a Perfect Moment post , you may place this button on your blog.What Perfect Moment have you recently been aware of? Visit these moments of others and share your comment love.

Baby Smiling In Back Seat April 17, 2011 at 8:46 pm

I can totally see Tessa as a cheerleader! That girl’s got enthusiasm.

I love your description of the Promised Land.

Mel April 17, 2011 at 9:14 pm

You’ve become a sports mum :-)

I didn’t know T was cheering. Good for her — very cute picture and I can totally see her channeling her spirit into that.

Rhonda "Roo" April 17, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Congratulations Lori! So glad to see friends dreams coming true.

RobinJP April 17, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Sue talks with fond memories about her parents going for a walk in the afternoons, after her dad got home from work. They’d head off holding hands and she guesses they talked about all the things they wanted to keep from the kids.

I bet they were talking about the Promised Land.

I love the image of the two of you sitting in camp chairs. Maybe even talking about all the things you want to keep from the kids.

Kristin April 18, 2011 at 12:01 am

It truly is the promised land, isn’t it?

St. Elsewhere April 18, 2011 at 1:35 am

Such a pleasant realization that must be.

Hoping Tessa and Reed will excel in their pursuits, and love it all in the process.

Erica April 18, 2011 at 5:04 am

It is so wonderful to see you children grow up and take on things that they love. I saw Min catch a huge fish on his Dora fishing pole this past summer. He was so proud and I will never forget that moment.

Kir April 18, 2011 at 7:59 am

I like how you used the word “conceived” to explain it.
I am so happy you got to spend that day enjoying your family. Perfect for sure!

xo

Delenn April 18, 2011 at 8:52 am

When I went to my son’s first band concert I had that same feeling. It is so perfect. :-)

Pam April 18, 2011 at 10:25 am

This made me smile from ear to ear! :D

Suzy April 18, 2011 at 11:34 am

Welcome to the Promised Land! It sounds lovely! So glad you are able to enjoy these precious and fun things together as a family!
xo

Kathy April 18, 2011 at 11:55 am

Congratulations on making it to the Promised Land Lori and, even better, enjoying it for what it is! So often people (including me) struggle to appreciate any particular stage of their lives, as we are always thinking about what’s next. Good for you being able to realize what is in front of you and make the most of it with your husband and amazing children. I am also so glad that your Promised Land is even better than you imagined it could or would be! That’s awesome!

Kathy April 18, 2011 at 12:32 pm

P.S. I found it interesting after reading and commenting on most of the other links this week, that a number of other PMM bloggers shared about experiences similar to your’s in which they were recognizing how grateful and happy they are to be living in their “Promised Lands” too (though they used different words to make the point). I thought it was very cool that there is almost a theme to many of this weeks posts and appreciate that many were centered around not just noticing the perfect moments, but realizing how blessed and lucky we are to have them in our lives. :)

Quiet Dreams April 18, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Kids at play are so much fun to watch, aren’t they? I imagine it must be even more so when they’re yours.

Valerie Power April 18, 2011 at 4:43 pm

It truly is all about these every day moments that bring “the promised land” into view clearly, isn’t it?

Sheri April 18, 2011 at 7:26 pm

I like your description of “The Promised Land.” Each time I see one of my kids perform in a band concert, write a paper, complete their homework, play their sports, I get what I call, “an emotional high.” It is a feeling of complete fulfillment. Wow!

I can’t wait to see Tessa and Reed participating in their new activities.

Thanks for sharing your Perfect Moment!

Jjiraffe April 19, 2011 at 1:27 am

Lovely metaphor: and very apt, given Passover :)

Chris Bird April 19, 2011 at 4:58 pm

Sounds like bliss! Looking forward to those folding chair days myself!

Sugar Loco - Jenny April 20, 2011 at 7:11 am

the kiddos are the cutest when they’re learning something new. and I look at it as a chance for you to relax a little! GOOO MAMA (I say in my best cheerleading voice)

Meredith April 21, 2011 at 9:44 am

This is so sweet! It’ll be neat to see what types of dance Tessa likes. Jazz and tap were the most fun for me, but ballet and lyrical are lovely too.