Perfect Moment Monday: The ordinary is extraordinary

by Lori Lavender Luz on October 23, 2011

in Family,Perfect Moment

It’s a lazy Saturday, and an unseasonably warm one for mid-October. I’m taking advantage of the lazy part by reading a good book and taking an afternoon snooze. The others in my family are taking advantage of the gorgeous weather by heading outside.

I awake from my short nap to the sound of merriment outside the window. I see my husband, an amazing father, playing ball with our kids. I see my kids, healthy and hearty and exuberant, reveling in the moment with their dad. Now that I think about it, I’m having a perfect moment by observing my loved ones each having their perfect moments!

I love my house. I love my neighborhood. I love a good book and I love naps. I love my husband and my kids and I love that I have all this as just an ordinary moment on a beautiful October day.

~~~~~

Have you signed up yet for the book tour for Found: a Memoir by Jennifer Lauck?

====================================

Perfect Moment Monday is about noticing a perfect moment rather than creating one. Perfect moments can be momentous or ordinary or somewhere in between.

On the 4th Monday of each month we engage in mindfulness about something that is right with our world. Everyone is welcome to join. The next Perfect Moment Monday event will be on November 28.

To participate in Perfect Moment Monday:

1. Follow Write Mind Open Heart.
  2. Between the Sunday night before and the Sunday night after, write up your own Perfect Moment.
  3. Use LinkyTools below to enter your name (or your site/blog name) and the URL of your Perfect Moment.
  4. Visit the Perfect Moments of others and let the writers know you were there with some comment currency.

Once you make a Perfect Moment post , you may place this button on your blog.Perfect Moment MondayWhat Perfect Moment have you recently been aware of? Visit these moments of others and share your comment love.

a October 23, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Fantastic – what a great way to take advantage of the beautiful weather!

Kathy October 23, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Sounds like a wonderful afternoon filled with perfect moments for you and your family. It doesn’t get any better than that! xoxo

Torrejon October 23, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Yesterday, one of my son’s buddies came over…and as he was walking into the house, he asked: What is that smell? Always on the defensive about the cleanliness of my home, I asked him if it was a good smell or a bad smell. He said a wonderful smell. (I already liked this kid, but now…even more so.) OK, that smell must be stew that I have going in the crockpot. He asked if he could see it. Uuum really? I’d understand if he was a housewife…but a 12 year-old kid that insists on seeing the origin of a good food smell? I showed him. And he asked me if I would write down the recipe for his mom. I told him I would. He said: “Good, because she only know how to make stuff like spaghetti.” Then he turned to my son and told him: “Man, you are SO lucky that you get to eat GOOD food.” WOW. What does this kid eat at home other than spaghetti? Actually, I was watching my son through all of this…and he seemed so proud, so happy to have a good thing to quietly, privately feel good about.

I know parents feel great about their kids’ successes, but I’d long since forgotten that kids can be proud of their parents’ successes too. I love to cook, love making others happy with good meals, and it is so nice to think that others–even kids–notice.

OK, that is my indulgent, brag-worthy perfect moment for the week.

Aramelle {One Wheeler's World} October 24, 2011 at 10:25 am

That is such a sweet story! I love that your son is able to know that feeling of being proud to show off his mom to his buddies! :)

Suzy October 24, 2011 at 10:02 am

I love that you and your family both had perfect moments! A good nap is always a perfect moment isn’t it!

And this: “I see my kids, healthy and hearty and exuberant, reveling in the moment with their dad.” is definitely perfection at it’s best!

Hope the rest of your week is just as perfect!

Aramelle {One Wheeler's World} October 24, 2011 at 10:28 am

Sounds like a perfect Sunday to me!

One of my favorite pastimes is to eavesdrop on my husband playing with our son. I love witnessing the moments they spend together when they don’t realize they’re being paid attention to. It is a truly wonderful thing to watch the men we love play the role of “Daddy.”

Susan October 24, 2011 at 11:56 am

Love this post Lori. We all need to stop more often to enjoy and relish in the ordinary things.

Kir October 24, 2011 at 3:12 pm

That does sound like an absolutely perfect day..books, laughter coming in through the windows and just the joy of knowing all is well. *sigh* perfect indeed. Plus I love naps…like I love shoes and cupcakes. ;)

Balancing Act October 24, 2011 at 7:30 pm

I always love to observe and listen to the kiddos play with daddy. It’s a completely different fun than what they have with mommy.

Mel October 24, 2011 at 7:34 pm

This post just made me smile.

Meredith October 25, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Reading about this perfect moment made me happy! What a sweet family!

Jenny - Sugar Loco October 25, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Sounds heavenly…Especially that part about the nap!

Lori October 25, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Oh shucks!! See if I don’t write it down I just don’t remember and I forgot to write down Perfect Moment Monday for this month. I’ve got it on the calendar for November. Looks like you had the most wonderful Monday. It’s a great feeling to appreciate all you have.

Erin October 26, 2011 at 7:02 am

Love this post! It sounds like a perfect day. A good book, a nap and waking up to the people you love most. Thanks for sharing it!

Catherine October 26, 2011 at 3:13 pm

What a perfect moment. Some of my most perfect moments are those when I get to observe my family from the outside and really be thankful for them.

Theresa Torres October 28, 2011 at 7:34 am

Hi Lori,
I know that feeling of having that perfect moment by watching my kids having a perfect moment themselves. It’s that warm feeling I get when I see them happy and laughing. Everything’s alright with their world and I am content.
Having a copy of a book by an author that I love is also a perfect moment for me. I love this post!
Thanks for sharing this perfect moment with us. Have a nice day!
P.S. I am a spammer but at least I left a semi-real comment.

St. Elsewhere October 31, 2011 at 6:51 am

Sweet!

Chrissy Morin February 3, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Love this idea! We had a perfect Friday Snow Day today, snugly cats, fluffy slippers and hot cocoa.