Mix Tape: Dedicated to the ones I love

April 7, 2013

in Music

Remember cassette tapes? Remember when someone you love made one for you, painstakingly gathering meaningful songs from the CDs, the radio, or — gasp — record albums?

cassette tapeI’m going to begin sharing some songs I love, ones you may not be familiar with, ones that make me smile when they turn up on my iPod. Over the coming months I’ll be building a mix tape on YouTube, so you can follow along as it grows and as you wish.

The first entry consists of two songs I dig from the Mamas and the Papas. Why? Because they’re groovy, man. My dad was really into this band when the Mamas and the Papas first broke onto the scene, and I have fond memories of Dad blasting their music from his HiFi, which he designed and was most proud of. Oh, did he love those woofers that were bigger than I was. He still does, though they no longer outspan me.

The first clip is my own rendition (yes, this is me) of Michelle Phillips’ Right Somebody to Love, itself a take on an old Shirley Temple clip. It’s only 45 seconds long. Boo boop be doop.

Which leads into Straight Shooter, characterized by a strong and catchy bass line and gorgeous harmonies by the hard-partying Michelle, Cass, Denny and John. See if you don’t like it as much as I do.

Stay tuned for more off-the-beaten-path music. I’ll be periodically adding to this mix tape, made especially for you, and the playlist will gradually grow.

You are also invited to click over to Jen Kehl’s Mix Tape Tuesday, 1960s edition.

Image courtesy of coward_lion / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Monika April 7, 2013 at 10:25 am

The Mamas and the Papas ROCK.

Also, don’t forget the mix tapes I made for myself recording on a tape off the radio. And of course there’s the radio announcers in there ruining the start and the finish of a song. :P

Lori Lavender Luz April 7, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Oh, yes. I remember trying to catch clean margins of a song on the radio.

April April 7, 2013 at 10:31 am

What a great idea! Thank you so much for sharing this, Lori! I still have a shoebox of mix tapes from junior high and high school. You know the kind, the ones you listened to so many times that when the song comes on the radio now you expect the next to be the one from the tape. :)

Lori Lavender Luz April 7, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Oh, yes. You hear one song and know what the next will be. And for a moment you travel back in time…

Justine April 7, 2013 at 11:19 am

YOU! Singing!!

I built an entire relationships on mix tapes in college. It’s how we communicated … through music.

Lori Lavender Luz April 7, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Do you think it is a lost art, now that it’s so easy to build a playlist? That it’s no longer something we do as a gesture of love for another?

I wonder if my kids will enjoy the fine art of playlist relationships.

Queenie April 7, 2013 at 1:10 pm

I imagined that you would sound totally different from that. Which is kind of a weird thing to say, but anyway!

It is such a coincidence that you posted this today, because I just drafted a post (which will go up tomorrow) about theme songs (personal) and the mixes I always used to make when I had a big project at work. Songs have such an intense way of reminding us of specific memories, like your dad.

Lori Lavender Luz April 7, 2013 at 1:19 pm

It’s my boo boop be do voice. It freaks Tessa out!

I’m eager to read your post tomorrow!

Queenie April 7, 2013 at 4:36 pm

And Mel blogged about music today, too. Must be something in the air! :)

a April 7, 2013 at 8:55 pm

You crack me up! And now I have California Dreamin’ in my head…

Mel April 8, 2013 at 7:08 am

Very cute idea. Though there is no one screeching obscenities. How can it be music? :-)

Lori Lavender Luz April 8, 2013 at 7:16 am

Oh, I call that “Take 1.”

Tracy@CrazyAsNormal June 3, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Color me impressed. :) Glad Jen hooked us up.

Jen June 3, 2013 at 10:23 pm

OK I had to put my Beats on for this one, and I was not disappointed. You sound amazing, your pitch is spot on! American Idol maybe?? ;-) Love Love Love!

Kristi Campbell June 4, 2013 at 9:11 am

It probably doesn’t say anything good about me, but there are times when I really miss mixed tapes. And hey! I love Straight Shooter! I hadn’t heard it before, so thank you for the introduction to it. So glad you linked up with us today, friend!

clark June 4, 2013 at 1:15 pm

I enjoyed your Post right up to the point of reading…
“…My dad was really into this band when the Mamas and the Papas first broke onto the scene.”

lol I suspect I will be encountering this life-perspective more than once today.

Good MT Tuesday Post

Mod Mom Beyond IndieDom June 4, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Oooh – Mamas & Papas – YES! I almost picked one of theirs and I think I still will for next week. I love them so much. There’ll never be anybody like Mama Cass. What a voice!

Slu June 4, 2013 at 3:07 pm

I had a M & P selection that I took off at the last minute. I love them. Maybe next week. Enjoyed, Slu