It’s December again, and as we wrap up 2022, we are also wrapping up Season 3 of Adoption: The Long View.
As we plan for Season 4 (and maybe beyond), I invite you to give us specific feedback. What challenges would you like to hear us explore? What would you like to know more about? Drop me a line with the subject line Hey! I listen to Adoption The Long View. Let us know which episodes in the previous three seasons have had an impact on you and what that impact was. We’d love to hear from you how to make Season 4 as relevant as possible to the issues that matter to you.
I’m incredibly grateful for the 11 amazing guests who talked with me during Season 3, a remarkable group comprising 7 adoptees, 1 birth parent, 4 adoptive parents, 2 people who got OFF the adoption roller coaster, and 2 people in differing roles within their interracial families (some in dual positions; don’t even try with the math). We heard from playwrights and podcasters, executives and educators, moms and dads and sons and daughters, wise and generous each one of them.
Thanks also to each of you who listen and rate our episodes. It really helps get the word out. This is a completely free podcast — no advertising and no paywall. Should you wish to contribute to its ongoing existence, we simply ask that you share this podcast with others. Many thanks for doing so.
Best Adoption Advice of Season 3: Eleven Guests on the Long View of Adoption
If you’ve been following along, you know that my guests and I talk about a provocative topic that’s sure to come up along our parenting journeys. Guests share brilliant nuggets of wisdom with me, and before we know it our time is up and we are at the final question.
You are going to love this listener’s digest of short audio clips, with each guest responding to the question: What is the most important piece of the long view of adoptive parenting that people miss on the front end?
In Episode 310 you get the digest, the down and dirty clips of each guest’s best adoption advice. You may be surprised with some of the commonalities, and intrigued by the unique wisdom brought to the table by each guest. We have a transcript available so you can easily find any episode you’d like to listen to in its entirety.
Show Notes from the Season 3’s Expert Adoption Advice
Click on the name to go to the guest’s own site. Click on the episode number for that guest’s full interview.
Prefer to read? Here’s a transcript (but listening is so much better).
- Barbara Herel, adoptive mom of a teen, and adoption learner, on 9 awkward adoption situations that WILL arise. Ep301.
- Maggie Gallant and Suzanne Bachner: we write plays about being adopted to help all adoptees — including yours. Ep302.
- Damon L Davis, adoptee and host of Who Am I Really? podcast on what adoptees need from their parents to answer that question.. Ep303.
- Janelle Ison, adoptee and birth mom on what adoptive parents need to know about the power they hold in adoption relationships. Ep304.
- Joanna Ivey, adoptee and adoptive mom, on entrance narratives and how a seemingly harmless one can, in fact, cause harm. Ep305.
- Jess Tennant and Greg on what if adoption doesn’t work? What happens then? Ep306.
- Tony Hynes, interracial adoptee, on creating an adoption that doesn’t “split the baby.” Ep307.
- Lynn Brown with her unique twist on the challenges of transracial adoption with. Ep308.
- Allison Olson, a closed adoption -era adoptee raising an open adoption-era adoptee. Ep309
- Episode 310 transcript
- Episode 209: Best of Season 2
- Episode 112: Best of Season 1
- More quotable memes from guests on Adoption: The Longview
We’ll Be Back Soon
We’re taking a brief hiatus as we prepare for Season 4, which will premier early in 2023. Click the subscribe button wherever you get your podcasts so you know when we release new episodes. And please, do share with others who may benefit.
Until then, listen to adoptee voices, do your own work, get comfortable with complexity and discomfort, and seek to always be a safe space for your child to have their feelings — all their feelings.
And may you meet everything on your road ahead with confidence, curiosity, and compassion.
How to Tune In Regularly
You can find us on Adopting.com, and on these and other platforms.
- Apple Podcasts
- Amazon Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Search for “Adoption Long View” on your preferred podcast platform.
A new episode comes out the first Friday of the month. Thank you for sharing, subscribing, and rating this episode!
Lori Holden, mom of a young adult daughter and a young adult son, writes from Denver. She was honored as an Angel in Adoption® by the Congressional Coalition on Adoption Institute.
Her first book, The Open-Hearted Way to Open Adoption: Helping Your Child Grow Up Whole, makes a thoughtful anytime gift for the adoptive families in your life. Her second book, Standing Room Only: How to Be THAT Yoga Teacher is now available in paperback, and her third book, Adoption Unfiltered, will be published in late 2023.
Find Lori’s books on her Amazon Author page and catch episodes of Adoption: The Long View wherever you get your podcasts.