1. Friendraiser for the Adoptee Mentoring Society
The Board of Directors, along with founder Angela Tucker, launch the Adoptee Mentoring Society with a virtual kick-off May 18.
You’ll hear from leadership about the mission and vision at this startup phase. You’ll also hear from Angela and from adopted individuals who have already been impacted by the Adoptee Mentoring Society.
2. Heritage Camps for Adoptive Families
Did you adopt domestically? From foster care? From another region of the world? Heritage Camps has a camp for your family.
In person for the first time in too long! My family attended when my children were younger (pre-teens and teens) and found HCAF valuable in so many ways.
Find dates and locations here, and bring your family to beautiful Colorado this summer.
3. Monthly Virtual Birth Parent Support Groups
Each month, the On Your Feet Foundation offers moderated Zoom support meetings for birth parents. There are options for varying days of the week and times of day to accommodate busy schedules.
BirthmomsConnect support calls are available to anyone who has given birth to a child, anywhere, no matter their affiliation with On Your Feet Foundation or when they placed.
OYFF also addresses specific needs of LGBTQIA+ individuals, birth fathers, and other birth family members.
4. Three Sides to Every Adoption website
We have a new website housing all our conversations around Hot Topics in adoption.
Sara, Kelsey and I have spent the last month covering topics like:
- problematic behaviors of birth parents, with special guest Tony Hynes, a transracial adoptee raised in an open adoption by his two adoptive moms and his birth grandmother;
- the movement to adopt children from Ukraine, with special guest Kathryn Joyce of Child Catchers: Rescue, Trafficking, and the New Gospel of Adoption;
- the elusive birth father viewpoint, with special guest Ridghaus;
- and how to cultivate adoptee-centered relationships.
What’s been on your radar lately? Share your finds in a comment below, whether adoption-related or not.
Lori Holden, mom of a young adult daughter and a young adult son, writes from Denver. She was honored as an Angel in Adoption® by the Congressional Coalition on Adoption Institute.
Her first book, The Open-Hearted Way to Open Adoption: Helping Your Child Grow Up Whole, makes a thoughtful anytime gift for the adoptive families in your life. Her second book, Standing Room Only: How to Be THAT Yoga Teacher is now available in paperback, and her third book, Adoption Unfiltered, is now available through your favorite bookseller!
Find Lori’s books on her Amazon Author page and catch episodes of Adoption: The Long View wherever you get your podcasts.