Let’s Start with Gratitude
Episode 209 wraps up the second season of Adoption: The Long View. We continue to reach more and more adoptive parents who take the long view of parenting by adoption. Word is out that this podcast is full of information that helps potential adoptive parents and already adoptive parents become more comfortable and effective at the more challenging parts of adoptive parenting.
So THANK YOU, listeners, for tuning in. THANK YOU, agencies who share this podcast with your clients. THANK YOU adoption support groups who discuss our topics together. A big THANK YOU to adopting.com for meeting people early in their adoptive parenting journey. THANK YOU all for sharing and engaging. Every time you Like, Share, or Rate this podcast on your preferred platform, it helps us reach and help more people.
↑ Listen right here! ↑
I’m also grateful for the 10 amazing guests who talked with me during Season 2, a remarkable group made up of 2 adoptees, 2 birth parents, 2 adoptive parents, 1 investigative journalist, 1 CEO, 2 parent coaches, 2 therapists, and some in double positions (don’t even try with the math).
You are going to love this listener’s digest of short audio clips, with each guest responding to the questions: What does it take to adopt well? And to adoptive-parent well?
Best Adoption Advice of Season 2: Ten Guests on the Long View of Adoption
If you’ve been following along, you know that my guests and I talk about a provocative topic that’s sure to come up along our parenting journeys. Guests share brilliant nuggets of wisdom with me, and before we know it our time is up and we are at the final questions.
In Episode 209 you get the digest, the down and dirty clips of each guest’s best adoption advice. You may be surprised with some of the commonalities, and intrigued by the unique wisdom brought to the table by each guest. We have a transcript available so you can easily find any episode you’d like to refer back to.
Show Notes from the Season 2’s Best Adoption Advice
Click on the name to go to the guest’s own site. Click on the episode number for that guest’s full interview.
Prefer to read? Here’s a transcript (but listening is so much better).
- Gabrielle Glaser, investigative journalist: beyond the shadow history of adoption. Ep201.
- Kara Andersen and Katie Biron, adoptive parent counselors: Is having an open adoption enough? Ep202.
- Tim Elder, adoptive dad, on making the transition from adopting parent to adoptive parent. Ep203.
- Candace Cahill, birth mom, on losing her son twice, and gaining something, as well. Ep204.
- Sara Easterly, adoptee, and Kelsey Vander Vliet Ranyard, birth mom, reveal 5 myths adoptive parents still believe. Ep205.
- Anne Heffron, adoptee, on why and how to clear infertility grief to make room for a baby. Ep206.
- Jen Winkelmann, MA, LPC, adoption-competent therapist on what adoptive families need to know about finding and having an adoption-competent therapist. Ep207.
- Rita Soronen, CEO of the Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption, on honoring National Adoption Month and finding families for children who need them. Ep208.
- Episode 209 transcript
- Episode 112: Best of Season 1
How to Tune In Regularly
You can find us on any podcast platform and on Adopting.com.
- Apple Podcasts
- Amazon Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- YouTube Channel
- Search for “Adoption Long View” on your preferred podcast platform.
A new episode comes out the first Friday of the month. Thank you for sharing, subscribing, and rating this episode!
We’ll Be Back Soon!
We’re taking a brief hiatus as we prepare for Season 3, premiering Februray 4, 2022. Click the subscribe button wherever you get your podcasts so you know when we release new episodes. And please, do share with others who may benefit.
Until then, listen to adoptee voices, do your own work, get comfortable with complexity and discomfort, and seek to always be a safe space for your child to have their feelings.
And may you meet everything on your road ahead with confidence, capability, and compassion.
Lori Holden, mom of a teen son and a young adult daughter, writes from Denver. Her book, The Open-Hearted Way to Open Adoption: Helping Your Child Grow Up Whole, is available through your favorite online bookseller and makes a thoughtful anytime gift for the adoptive families in your life. Catch episodes of Adoption: The Long View wherever you get your podcasts.
Lori was honored as an Angel in Adoption® in 2018 by the Congressional Coalition on Adoption Institute.