Months in the year. Inches in a foot. Petals in the heart chakra. Tribes of Israel. Olympian Gods. Disciples called by Jesus. Sons of Odin. Knights of the Roundtable. Days of Christmas. Angry Men. Years a Slave. Magnesium on the periodic table. Namesake of the duodenum. Noon and midnight. Steps to recovery.
All 12s. Twelve is a sublime yet semiperfect number.
Happy Birthday to this Blog! Today it’s 12.
Here is a list of my favorite post from each year. Some selections you may find surprising, as they are not the most popular.
Years 1 through 4
- 2007 – 2008: You’re So Vain. I Bet You Think this Post is About You
- 2008 – 2009: The Day I Earned My Mom Badge
- 2009 – 2010: Double Feature
- 2010 – 2011: The Night My House Broke Up With Me
- Honorable Mention: Time to Every Purpose (picture post)
Years 5 through 8
- 2011 – 2012: Big Announcement!
- 2012 – 2013: 50% of X Ends in Y
- 2013 – 2014: Talking with Tweens & Teens about Marijuana
- 2014 – 2015: The Badass Inside
- Honorable Mention: Forgiving the World
Years 9 through 12
- 2015 – 2016: I Want My Kids to Struggle
- 2016 – 2017: I Got Jack-Assed — TWICE
- 2017 – 2018: Commencement
- 2018 – 2019: The White House: Advocating for Adoption Reform
- Honorable Mention: Adoption as a Punchline
These were not easy decisions! It’s like choosing your favorite song. Or food. Or child. I reserve the right to have different favorites tomorrow.
Gratitude for Twelve Years of YOU
Thanks to all of you reading, especially those of you I consider original readers from 2007. I think there are about twelve of you left!
Lori Holden, mom of a teen son and a young adult daughter, writes from Denver. Her book, The Open-Hearted Way to Open Adoption: Helping Your Child Grow Up Whole, is available through your favorite online bookseller and makes a thoughtful anytime gift for the adoptive families in your life. Catch episodes of Adoption: The Long View wherever you get your podcasts.
Lori was honored as an Angel in Adoption® in 2018 by the Congressional Coalition on Adoption Institute.
9 thoughts on “Dozen”
Happy happy happy blogoversary. I am so glad you started — and kept writing — in this space.
Me, too. Look at all the phenomenal people this little blog has brought my way!
Congratulation on your Blogiversary! So many excellent articles and words of wisdom! Onwards!
Thank you for being her with me, Barbara!
Congratulations on twelve beautiful, wise, compassionate, passionate years! So grateful for your voice and your friendship.
Congratulations on 12 years! That’s a lot of valuable content – thanks for gracing us all with it!
Happy 12th Blogoversary! I too am happy that you have continued to write in this space.
Not sure I’m an original-original reader, but pretty close, I think! 😉 I have learned so much from you, Lori! Happy, happy blogoversary, and here’s to many more!
Happy 12th Blogoversary! You are such a great writer that it is hard to choose my favorite posts on your blog.
I think there are several other important reasons to celebrate the number 12. How about we do it tomorrow?? <3